Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

change speedo cluster

Hi ...i,m looking for answers on how to change a speedo gauge cluster ,? How to do this eg does dash pad have to come off , does steering column have to dropped and such ...Thank You

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hello Frosty ..Happy New Year !!!! Thank you... Now how do i get a hold of Justa ? LOL... will try and figure out ...Thanks again cheers 

Actually I need to be pulling mine as well.  Picked up new veneer for the dash, spent stupid $$$ to have it stained to match my center console. After much fighting with my climate control assembly and installing new cables, realized the whole assembly needed to be replaced as you can't get rebuild parts.  Have a new/used one ready to go as well.  Couldn't get it in gear to replace during the summer and warm weather, didn't want to miss any shows or cruise nights with the car apart and waiting on parts, also plan to upgrade to led bulbs while it's all out. Only plan on doing this one more time.  It's been 13 years now since I found the dash and was figuring out how to install it.  Car didn't come with one. Justa toggle switch to fire the motor on the bracket racer. 

Scarlit - you're welcome. JUSTA is a regular on the site.

So JUSTA - you've not pulled and/or installed your dash to give the man some tips or tricks of what to do?

For what it's worth, I own a '72 Lemans convertible - different body style, but I did remove the steering wheel and lower the column to make removing the dash easier. You will have to reach up under the dash and feel around to disconnect the speedometer cable. There is a button on top of the cable where it connects to the gauge. You will have to lie on your back and reach your hand up into the dash to release it. It is a huge pain-in-the-butt to get to and release. You will also have to disconnect the large electrical connector to the dash that drives the gages and the gage lights.

I recommend you find - either online - or purchase a service manual for your vehicle. It will show the proper way to remove the dash (and anything else) with illustrations. I hestitate to comment to much further since I don't know how much of the bezels and such need to be removed on a 66-67 vs a 72.

This old write up will give you an idea of what you'll need to do to get to the gauge pod.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-0604-pontiac-dash-restoration/

Lots of space is key, I always remove the driver side seat. Then remove the two screws on the column trim and then the two bolts from the column strap. This will allow you to slightly lower the column to get the bezel out. Lots of other things to do before hand but these few items make this major task a little bit easier. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Scarlit - you're welcome. JUSTA is a regular on the site.

So JUSTA - you've not pulled and/or installed your dash to give the man some tips or tricks of what to do?

We went through it on a PM.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SPRINT 6 said:

This old write up will give you an idea of what you'll need to do to get to the gauge pod.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-0604-pontiac-dash-restoration/

Lots of space is key, I always remove the driver side seat. Then remove the two screws on the column trim and then the two bolts from the column strap. This will allow you to slightly lower the column to get the bezel out. Lots of other things to do before hand but these few items make this major task a little bit easier. 

ok will check it out ...thank you very much !!! cheers