Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I did something I''ve never done before.

Frosty

I did something on Saturday I've never done before. I mowed my lawn on December 28th. Now for most people living south of the Mason-Dixon line this maybe no big deal. However, living in Michigan all my life, I am accustomed to having snow and ice on my lawn and driveway this time of year, not 40-60 degree weather and a green Christmas, like we've just experienced.

The reason for mowing was primarily for leaf pick up. I have two oak trees, one in the front yard and one in back, that don't think of shedding their leaves until at least mid-to-late December. All local yard waste collection around here stops at Thanksgiving but I have a neighbor that lets me dump leaves in their spare lot.

So this was the first time in my life that have I have ever mowed my lawn in the season of "winter" on the calendar, especially this late in December. Man I could get use to this......

272371292_IMG_47061.thumb.JPG.e0b92ae72491c6fa9646a77d572709fa.JPG\

My front lawn from my front porch. That villainous oak tree to the left. It rained on Sunday, knocking down some more leaves but I can now at least see my lawn instead of mainly leaves. Heck I even found the dog's toy ball.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Bet that is much more welcomed than the ice and snow but doesn't make for a white Christmas.

Late November usually starts our "dry" season and cuts my mowing from weekly to every other week. This week and last we actually had quite some storms and rain so had to mow more than usual too.

It was colder on Halloween and Thanksgiving than it was on Christmas day here in Michigan. Go figure. We had six inches of snow on the ground at my place at the beginning of November. Earliest accumulation of snowfall on record. It all melts before Thanksgiving. We've had some teaser snow now and then but it too is all gone. We had a green and warm (for us) Christmas. It was 61 degrees on Thursday!

It may stay warm here (above 35) for the next week or so - so I may have yet another chance to suck up some more leaves. It depends on how much it rains / snows between now and then.

Has been in the high 60s to low 70s here in NC for the last couple of weeks....It's unusual but not uncommon for this time of the year...Supposed to turn more seasonal with highs in the low 50s in a couple of days.... Last year had record snowfall 2nd week of Dec...20 inches here in my yard...Have a herd of deer living around my house (Have to be really careful coming up my driveway to avoid hitting them) and they have been keeping the yard trimmed up for me...Since October

21960.jpeg

20257.jpeg

20191208_173512.jpg

20191206_173639.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

LOL 2 lane.   John Deere takes care of my lawn.   If that was here....I'd be using my new crossbow Christmas present,   We can hunt til the end of the year.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

It was colder on Halloween and Thanksgiving than it was on Christmas day here in Michigan. Go figure. We had six inches of snow on the ground at my place at the beginning of November. Earliest accumulation of snowfall on record. It all melts before Thanksgiving. We've had some teaser snow now and then but it too is all gone. We had a green and warm (for us) Christmas. It was 61 degrees on Thursday!

It may stay warm here (above 35) for the next week or so - so I may have yet another chance to suck up some more leaves. It depends on how much it rains / snows between now and then.

If it wasn't for the muddy roads, I was thinkin about a Dec cruise in da GTO.

Trust me a burnout on his street would break suspension stuff.  His driveway on the other hand has not been christened.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, indymanjoe said:

What kind of neighborhood do you live in? I dont see any tire smokin burnout marks in the road...i have a house for sale down the street from me!

Can I tear down the house and build a 4-20 car garage and get away with it from the city or township? If so, call me. We'll talk.

Remember you talking to the guy that can't park his cars at his own house. Grrrr...... :angry:

On 12/31/2019 at 9:58 AM, notallthere said:

Trust me a burnout on his street would break suspension stuff.  His driveway on the other hand has not been christened.

You haven't been to the house since they re-paved the street. Perhaps when the FrankenChevelle is finished you will have to christen the cul-de-sac!

What a difference a couple of days make.....

Yup, you wait 5 minutes in Michigan, the weather changes. In this case, you wait a couple of days and the weather really changes.....

Okay, so Saturday, December 28, 2019 - almost 50 degrees! I get to mow my lawn!

381037643_IMG_47061.thumb.JPG.3a0a5ba252ca09303d7dec6519927401.JPG

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 30 degrees, and lake effect snow - 1-3 inches and high wind advisories.

1223644972_IMG_47081.thumb.JPG.2854379fde8880e7d5a5bed04a143bbb.JPG

The bright side is the wind ripped most the remaining leaves off the oak tree!

• Founders

Pretty much summer for you guys to winter 😛 . The weather sure moves fast there! Was cold-er here the past few days too. High of low 70s. Kind of weather I like.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Was cold-er here the past few days too. High of low 70s. Kind of weather I like.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Pretty much summer for you guys to winter 😛 . The weather sure moves fast there! Was cold-er here the past few days too. High of low 70s. Kind of weather I like.

Michigan guys head down there and don't know how to act in the warm weather.....at least in the 2nd half.    Mich lost the Citrus bowl.

• Founders
19 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Michigan guys head down there and don't know how to act in the warm weather.....at least in the 2nd half.    Mich lost the Citrus bowl.

Was rooting for them to take down Bama. Didn't go quite as I was hoping :lol: 

Me either. Now I can say the Shea Patterson experience is now over. Good kid, a little above average player. Not a Heisman candidate that Old Miss seemed to think he was.

For the record, Eastern, Central and Western Michigan all lost their bowl games too. Only Michigan State won theirs.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, JUSTA6 said:

LOL 2 lane.   John Deere takes care of my lawn.   If that was here....I'd be using my new crossbow Christmas present,   We can hunt til the end of the year.

If it wasn't for the muddy roads, I was thinkin about a Dec cruise in da GTO.

Just cultivating them for future use..Is illegal to use a crossbow here in NC...Did get one (8 pointer) with my .480 Super Redhawk pistol a few weeks ago....Was too easy..Almost felt bad about it....

• Like 1