Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

How do you remove window tint?

The wife's car needs to have the tint removed so to have it redone. My thoughts are peel it off then clean the windows with window cleaner.

Are there any tricks or products that you would recommend?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Be careful but use a Goo Gone or like substance with a razor to peel it off then clean again with Goo Gone and window cleaner. Don't hurry it or it will rip but if you take it slow you should be able to get the whole window once you get a corner.

your best bet is to use a steamer such as the "shark" and a razor blade...

Items you'll need:

steamer... I used a Shark steamer, but those small cheapy clothes steamers are said to work too.

Brand new blade (razor type)

Towel

and Water of course... :woot:

Start from the top...

Begin to steam along the top edge, go back and forth with the steamer until you're able to peel the tint away from the glass with your fingernail or blade with ease.

Grab the tint with one hand and with the steamer in the other and while pulling the tint, work the steamer back and forth until you get to the bottom of the glass...

If for what ever reason there is residue left simply steam the spot for a couple of minutes then simply scrape with the blade and it'll come right off!

If it's too late and you already peeled off the tint, no biggie... the job is a little messier but you'll STILL get the residue off....

Starting from the top, again work the steamer back and forth slowly along the top of the glass working your way down.

Begin to scrape the residue with the blade it should just "melt" right off with the blade... if the residue wont budge just steam a little bit longer... then try scraping again.

The nice thing about this method is that there is no chemicals involved just steam (water) and a little bit of elbow grease.

Afterwards simply take your towel and wipe the windows clean... after wiping you'll notice the areas you've missed... simply repeat the above steps if you missed any spots.

I found this method on the web and was a bit skeptical at first but after finding out they would charge me $60 to remove the tint off my 2 front windows I thought what the heck and gave it a shot... unfortunately I had pulled the film off prior to finding this, so I did the messier method.

Hope this helps! :rofl:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the tips 1BADG6GT. My tint is about 10 years old now and the rear window is starting to get bubbles.

I also scratched up the tint on my driver window when the glass fell down into the door frame during the last window motor/regulator replacement.

Luckily I think someone I know has that Shark steam cleaner thing.

Tint is porous, so if moisture is held between it and the glass it'll be really easy. This method works better on a warm day, but you can use a spray bottle filled with water and cling wrap.

Just get a good mist on the inside of the glass, then put the cling wrap over it. Park it out in the sun for 30min, tint should come off with ease. If not let it sit a little longer.

A lot would depend on how the tint's adhesive works. A wallpaper steamer should work .. particularly in conjunction with a wall weasel. Alternately, a heat gun on low would loosen it up, but if you concentrate too much heat, you'll bust the glass. which leads to the really most effective method .... if your insurance replaces glass without deductible.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I like the cling wrap and water idea - will have to try that next time.

I just pulled off what came off and cleaned with a citrus goo remover - worked pretty easy over all for tint that had been on just a few years.

• 4 years later...

heat gun works well for me also. I see the pros using them in tint shops. Just keep the heat moving, start an edge and heat the area where the tint is coming off the glass.