Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Report: Ford considering shutting down Mercury division

Jedi3

Report: Ford considering shutting down Mercury division

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/report-...ors-at-mercury/

According to a report from Bloomberg, which is citing two unnamed sources who are supposedly "familiar with the plan," Ford is planning to close the doors on its Mercury division after 70 years of existence. If true, Mercury will join recently departed brands ranging from Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer.

We can't say that this news comes as a shocker, as analysts far and wide have been predicting such an event for the last few years, but Ford has repeatedly denied any plans to cancel its interplanetary division when questioned.

For what it's worth, the Mercury brand has seen its sales fall by nearly three-quarters since the year 2000, now representing less than two percent of Ford's annual sales. What's more, Mercury is scheduled to lose two of its four models next year. At this point, the only thing we'll miss if Mercury leaves us is spokesmodel Jill Wagner.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

im sure most of us could do without mercury..

but just think of the people who are once again possibly lining up for unemployment.. one less domestic income for north America

support mercury or don't, but don't forget about the bigger loss!

The Town Car/Marquis/Crown Vic plant shut down just east of here about 10 months ago and I do not think that they have sold Mercury in Canada for almost a year now.

• Founders

Sad to see another division of another American Auto Corp. go down and people lose their jobs.

Personally I never liked Mercury but eh still kinda sad seeing it go.

Eh, FORD em. GM ditched Pontiac. Big deal.

well i for one am not happy about any north american company going under.. i feel incredibly bad for the people who are directly affected but it affects soo many other people..

even my job being automotive related, and with connection to the domestic market goes down hill

i was just reading another blog on motor trend

you can check it here motor trend mercury blog

it just sucks how when one falls everything else falls