Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Frosty's Airbrush Art Work

Well this weekend was one of those weekends were the wife and boy were gone. I was stuck dog sitting so I decided to whip out my trusty Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. I took up automotive airbrushing classes at night for an entire school year a couple of years ago. My local community high school adult education and recreation program offers automotive airbrushing, pinstriping, and now a new class called "primer to polish out" started last week. So I am getting a lot of great experience working on some neat stuff.

Here are some examples:

Rat Fink - our first color portrait

P1010031.jpg

A '64 Corvette (which is owned by a member of the airbrush class)

P1010195.jpg

My ski helmet that I have not seen in 2 years. My instructor was suppose to finish pinstriping it and then clear coat it for me. He left it in his truck and now he's found it again. Now it needs some "touch up". I am suppose to have it back in a few weeks.

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

One of my first solo projects. The face is taken from an ad for an old Chicago beer called Iroquis Beer that went bankrupt in the 1970s. I came across the face in a private automotive and tractor collection I visted a few years ago. The rest I came up with on my own. You can see the starting sketch over laided onto the metal. So you can see the start and finished product.

P1010197.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Now here is one of my new projects. I wonder what it is and what it will be???? Hmmmm.....anyone got any suggestions? Anyone at all?

100_2070.jpg

100_2072.jpg

100_2074.jpg

I have some more art work, I just need to take some pictures of it and post them. Talk you guys later.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another piece. I had a set of stock non-chrome Pontiac valve covers lying around. I decided to try using them as guinea pigs for traditional flames (white/blue pearl) on one, and green true flames on the other.

100_2033.jpg

Thanks. Trust me, I am no "artist". I don't pretend to be able to draw very well, but I can get some basic proportions right.

I think you will find some of my other projects interesting as well.

It's obviously not pro because anyone, I'm sure has seen better but, they look good and I wish I had the time and patience to do that. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I'm not sure if that sounded bad... I re-read it and it sounds kind of asshole-ish. Sorry, if it was taken that way.

If I was trying to feed my family off this stuff, we'd be very skinny. No, this is pure hobby stuff. Don't forget that a lot of this stuff was done in my first year. So the Corvette, Rat Fink, etc. were all done while I was still taking classes. The Indian head is the only non-class related project I've put up there so far.

The only way to improve is to constantly practice these things. Trust me, I do not consider myself a "pro" at this. My point of this thread is that you too can go out and do this stuff yourself. The most expensive thing is the cost of the paint supplies themselves. They are not cheap, especially the candy colors.

Right now, in the primer to polish out class, we are currently learning how to apply bondo (I am the only one in class besides the instructor who has used it before) the correct way. We are working on beat up, used bowling pins. One big reason for using bowling pins, there is no flat surface on it, so we have to sand it in a particular way to insure that the surface is smooth. Another reason is you can pick them up for free by going to your local bowling alley.

It's obviously not pro because anyone, I'm sure has seen better but, they look good and I wish I had the time and patience to do that. Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I'm not sure if that sounded bad... I re-read it and it sounds kind of asshole-ish. Sorry, if it was taken that way.

:rofl: WOW im glad you put the edit in cuz I was like wow Mark your being a dick! :rofl:

but with the edit in I see what you were trying to say. Next time take your foot out or your mouth and it will sound better. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice. i wish i had some of that skill, as well as some other automotive skill. and Ringo, didnt they teach drawing? and :lol: at Mark.

In my opinion, you did a good job qualifying your statement, I understood your point. I was not offended.

That said, that doesn't mean anyone else isn't going to give you a rash of shit over it. They will...just because they can...and it is sport. It just won't be from me.

Hey do you think you could airbrush "Pontiac" on a set of Valve covers for my Chevrolet 305? :lol2:

Hell yes. Which version of "Pontiac" do you want painted on them? I know of about 4-5 versions. Do you want the valve covers to stay Chevy Orange, Pontiac Blue, or GM corporate blue or black?

Also, you can purchase a SBC Pontiac valve covers from GM Performance Parts

http://store.gmperformanceparts.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=7470&redir=true&manufacturer=GM&category=Valve%20Covers&name=Tall%20aluminum%20valve%20cover,%20pontiac%20design%20&model=<!--10093393-->

Finally, these are rare as hell, but if you can find a set of mid-to-late 50s/early 60s Canadian SBC Pontiac valve covers, they are a great old school look. GM Canada built many a Pontiac with SBCs due to local content and import/export restrictions in those days. They will be hard to find and expensive but they are way cool.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150437

In my opinion, you did a good job qualifying your statement, I understood your point. I was not offended.

That said, that doesn't mean anyone else isn't going to give you a rash of shit over it. They will...just because they can...and it is sport. It just won't be from me.

Why thank you good sir!

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

would you be up to airbrushing some trim pieces for a g6 in red realistic flames? but i want to keep my pontiac logo in some way

Sure, I was not trying to snub you, I just didn't read your post until last night. What are you thinking you want done? Engine cover? Interior trim? Are these plastic or metal pieces. It makes a difference how you paint prep the metal vs plastic.

Also, lets be clear. In the custom paint/airbrush world, "flames" are considered the traditional hot rod flame licks you see on most vintage hot rods and lead sleds. "True flame" is the term that Mike Lavallee coined to talk about realistic fire. So I am assuming you are talking about true fire like the yellow/green valve cover.

Pictures of the pieces you wanted painted and sample ideas of what you are looking for are always a good thing.

Oh damn, I didn't think they made Pontiac Valve covers for chevy small blocks! Sweet! Thanks Frosty!

They actually make them for big block Chevys too.

I own a set of "Pontiac" valve covers for my Pontiac engine that came out a couple of years ago from GM Performance Parts. You can now get it through Jegs. There is now the aluminuim, a polished aluminuim, and now a black krinkle finish.

http://www.jegs.com/...roductId=878539

I also have a pair of air breathers to go with them too.

http://www.spottsper...ages9/VCB12.JPG

I plan to paint them to match the body color of the Lemans and then install them this winter.

they're just plastic trim pieces

cicitrimpassenger.jpg

cicitrim-1.jpg

pontiacshiftplate.jpg

its the piece's that i already painted red but i'd like to keep a pontiac logo on there somehow and yes i would like the true fire like the valve cover