Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Pontiac of the Month

Pedja's 1968 Firebird

2019 March
of the Month

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

We look forward to seeing you around!

Ringo64

G6 Blinker issue

Question

Well I got out of work today, got to an intersection so I turned my blinker on, took the turn and then the blinker just kept going. The turn was long enough for it to turn it off, I thought nothing of it and put it down manually. Continued with my drive, then it happened when I pulled into a shopping center to run some errands and same deal. Now whenever I turn the wheel with the blinker off I hear some clicking.

SUMMARY: Blinker won't turn off by itself after a turn either direction and steering wheel makes clicking noise when blinker is off.

I'm thinking something with the blinker mechanism is either stuck or broken and causing the blinker to not turn off.I'm probably gonna take a look at it on Friday but was just wondering if anybody else has had anything similar :lol:

11 answers to this question

My blinker barely ever turns off by itself. No clicking noise though.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

My blinker barely ever turns off by itself. No clicking noise though.

Weird, mine used to every time. Even around those "weird" long sloped turns that other cars didn't.

Hrmmm...sounds like the G6 inherited another quirk from it's predissesor...

Sounds like the turn signal switch (Not the stalk on the column) may have dirty contacts, or the relay itself is bad. IIRC, your hazard switch/button controls the "click". Take out the switch and clean its contact points.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

It looks to me like it is still a mechanical piece so there maybe a part broken off inside. Even with an airbag they are not difficult to fix. I just cannot remember if it is the actual switch or the clock spring that is more likely to break.

I feel like something is broken but who knows. I'll be checking both, I hope it's just something I can fix and not have to buy new parts or dread a whole assembly

Hey, at least your indicator arrows and the clickey noise works. I drove around town with my right flasher on the whole time. Didn't notice until I hit a bump and it started working. Then it broke again the next day. Story of my car.

Definitely think something is broken now because when I put it down to turn left it won't stay down, I have to hold it down ;)

Needs more blinker fluid!

Needs more blinker fluid!

This....

but seriously, I forgot about this thread... took apart the steering column and in my case there was a misaligned and somewhat broken part, probably going to be rubbish at describing it but it was a plastic part responsible for pushing the stalk back up after the turn (you'll see it). Realigned the part and beefed it up a bit with some duct tape and its been working so far for about over a year. Though it sounds very odd :lol:.

This really isn't a long-term solution. I'll probably need to find the part number or assembly number and replace it but, and I'm sort of ashamed to say, my Camaro has taken over my life a bit.

If you find you have the same issue and find the part/assembly number for it, let me know. Also I'll let me know if you have any questions and I'll help out the best I can.

Doorman makes those turn signal switches with the stalk, so basically most auto parts stores will have them now.