Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi there very new to the pontiac seen. Just bought a 61 star chief and I love it. It's got the 8 lug rims and drums very rare from what I see. Well I dont like them and trying to find out if you can but regular drums with just the 5 lug pattern so I can run any aftermarket rims I want.  If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate the help 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hey there can anyone tell me how I can change my 8 lug drums can be moved to a five lug drum so I can run aftermarket rims ? I know most people like them I'm just not into them but want to keep them so I always have the original. Thanks in advance for the help

IIRC the rear is a direct swap but the fronts are a complete assembly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Thus you don't have to change the spindle but will need a full standard drum assembly to replace the 8-lug wheel.

I have to say you are the first person I can recall that does like the 8-lug 😲 but it's all good!   👍                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers.

MEMBERS RIDE 1.jpg

Thank you for responding. There are a few reason I was wanting to change them. One of the reasons is bc I cant figure out how replace the drums without spending alot of money. And I talked to a company that restore them and he said they have a tendency to separate with corrosion and I wont be able to true them up. And he charges 340 a rim to fix them.  The guy I bought the car gave me new shoes bc the brakes are bad. But my concern is I wont be able to get the drums turned. I will be doing the brakes this week so I will know which one is the issue. 

Also have you heard of those issues? Or is it just like any other drum set up? Just change the shoes and get the drums turned and I'm all good? The car is in great shape so im suspecting that the shoes are worn out. But there is definitely alot of vibration in the pedal 

Thank you in advance bc I cant find alot of stuff on this car. 

Yes there were reported corrosion issues with some between the Aluminum and cast insert.  Any good old school brake shop should be able to turn them as long as they are still within spec.  Yes having them RE-Lined can be pricey but once done correctly and maintained they are worth it if your wanting to maintain the OE wheels.  IMO your going to be spending some good coin which ever way you decide to go,  weather its restoring what you have or buying all the needed parts to switch back to standard drums.

https://www.jgrelining.com/services

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2006/05/Eight-is-Enough/1281932.html

http://www.pontiacparadise.com/parts-id/8-lug-wheels.php

Edited by SPRINT 6

Thanks for the advice. I got them off and it looks like I might have one small spot on the rear. I'm having them taken to a shop to get turned today. I'm just hoping there still enough there to turn. I've got my fingers crossed. Bc I'm not sure what the specs are. So I'll see 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone direct me to a company that makes a front disc brake conversion for 1961 star chief? Or has someone done this and what year will work. Any kind of help would be great 

Thanks in advance 

Thanks I'm having trouble learning how to navigate. I'm just hoping someone on here has done something that worked and can give me a answer 

• Founders
1 hour ago, Brad raynor said:

Thanks I'm having trouble learning how to navigate. I'm just hoping someone on here has done something that worked and can give me a answer 

No worries. Please let us know if you have any questions. You can use the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of each page or message me directly :)