Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Replacement Carpet

I'm thinking about replacing the carpet in my 67 GTO. The interior is original with the exception of the carpet and dash pad. The carpet has been replaced and was poorly done. Looking for suggestions on where to buy the new carpet, Anyone have experience with the carpet from Ames Performance or OPGI? Definitely want something molded to fit the floor pan and will probably stay with the old style loop vs. cut pile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Legendary Auto Interiors is who I have gone thru for carpet, seat covers, and seat foam .  They use original grain patterns and colors. They are one of the sources that Ames, YearOne, NPD (and others) buy their interior supplies from. Buy from them direct and save a few bucks.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I got my new carpet from Legendary Auto Interiors as a Christmas present and installed it the day after Christmas. It was a fun project and I'm very happy with the quality and the fit of the carpet. I also was able to see all of the floor pan from the topside and was pleased to not find any rust. I included a couple of the pictures of the "before" as well. It didn't look as bad in the car as it does on the garage floor, but you can see it was time.

IMG_5800.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

Edited by rickmpontiac

Looks great!! My son and I replaced the carpet in my Grand Prix a few months ago, and it turned out to be a relatively easy operation. Did you have to do any minor trimming on the carpet to get the proper fit? I ordered mine from OPGI, and I did have to trim about 2 inches off of each side to fit under the sill plate properly, but other than that, it was perfect. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FredZeppelin said:

Looks great!! My son and I replaced the carpet in my Grand Prix a few months ago, and it turned out to be a relatively easy operation. Did you have to do any minor trimming on the carpet to get the proper fit? I ordered mine from OPGI, and I did have to trim about 2 inches off of each side to fit under the sill plate properly, but other than that, it was perfect. 

Nice job Rick, I think you will love how it looks! I am pleased Santa was so good to you!

Fred, it is common to have to trim carpet to fit. It is typically sold slightly oversized.