Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Need an engine hoist\shop crane!

hey guys! It Havoc! That member that lurks more than he posts now and I have a question for you mechanical wizards. I need\want an engine hoist/shop crane for the Super A. Its common practice to use them when splitting the tractor because its easier to roll away one half and block the other side up. As a few of you may know, my transmission needs to come apart and instead of renting one for a weekend project, I'm fixin' to buy one as a long term investment for both the Super A and the Phoenix! I just want to know your thoughts on brands and what not. The section I'll be lifting away will be in the area of 1500lbs.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

My overhead it limited, I only have about 10 feet. As much as I'd love an A-frame hoist, I just don't have the room unless I did it outside. I think the best compromise for price, room, lifting capacity, and maneuverability would be the crane\hoist, yes?

I've heard that the Harbor Freight 2ton foldable is a good one. HF tends to be hit or miss with me.

• Founders

My only 2 cents is to not trust HF with an engine hoist. They're alright if you're in a pinch but if you're looking for a long term investment than get something worth it ;)

My only 2 cents is to not trust HF with an engine hoist. They're alright if you're in a pinch but if you're looking for a long term investment than get something worth it ;)

The amount of Harbor Freight and Chicago Electric shit my boss breaks on a monthly basis is incredible haha, thats why I don't feel too great, unless there is some awesome warranty.

• Founders

The amount of Harbor Freight and Chicago Electric shit my boss breaks on a monthly basis is incredible haha, thats why I don't feel too great, unless there is some awesome warranty.

:lol: In college, we used HF jack stands and some tools. Pretty much broke it every other week but went in for a new one under warranty. PITA but oh so cheap

I have had an AC Delco one from O'Reilly's for the past 12 years without a hitch. 10 engines at least have been on it. I use it to unload the truck and pick up the Chevelle frame recently. Check out Craigslist you may find an older one for cheap just look at the cylinder carefully for leaks around the upper seal and the pump.

From reviews I've read and from what people have been telling me, the HF one is actually very good, much to my own surprise. Apparently Big Red\Pep Boys is the worst. And the AC Delco ones seem to be hit and miss. I don't have any O'Reillys within 25 miles of me lol

I just checked CL, the nearest one for sale is 2 hours from here... lol

Next spec question Havoc. How high up in the air do you need to left anything? I know that the Farmall engine/transmission cases are essentially part of the frame/chassis. So are you looking to support and lift a few inches to a foot or so, or do you need to be able to remove the entire engine/transmission assembly out of the engine bay of the tractor which would mean several feet to clear the oil pan?

If it is the latter, I am concerned your choices could be severely limited with only a 10 foot ceiling and the need to support up to 1500 pounds.

Do you have the ability to mount this lift to the rafters or ceiling joists? If you need something portable or floor mounted then that further limits your options.

Another thought could be a portable scissors jacket style lift that supports the front half from underneath and then collapses down when you are finished.

So at this point I just need a sense of how much lift motion up and down you need and if you need to hold it one place or if you have to lift it a lot up and down.

I don't need much height, In fact, I shouldn't have to lift it up at all, just support. I plan on moving it away, then plopping it onto a stand\blocks. It just has to support the tractor as I unbolt the torque tube from the transmission, and then just roll it away about a foot or two. If anything, the only height movement will be from moving it on and off the stand I plan to make. (which I haven't actually given any thought, hahah)

Here is a breakdown of the entire "frame"

1. Front Bolster, Bolted to the front of engine. Has the steering hub and front axle attached. Also supports the radiator and grill.

2. Engine

3. Torque Tube. Holds the hydraulic unit, gas tank (missing in this picture), and battery.

4. Transmission. Has the left final bolted directly to it. On the right, its the axle tube (which has the seat bolted ontop if it) attached the right final.

I need to take 3 away from 4.

I'm thinking of using a load leveler slung under the torque tube.

10941119_10204750045005622_1794068186812

OK - I think a scissor lift/hoist might be a better fit here, IMO. A small portable 1500-2000 capacity unit that can come in from underneath might be the ticket you need to support the front half of the tractor. Obviously you may need some wood to help with the unique contours of the tractor, but I think you get the point. There are units out there that are portable. I think a sling with an engine hoist/cherry picker will work for the torque tube rear end.

Something like this:

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/auto-lift-mr6k-48-scissor-car-lift-p/AL-MR6K-48.htm?gclid=CPup05f4pcQCFWRk7AodIkUAMA

OR

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/lift-tables/stationary/bishamon-li-2k-power-scissor-li-table-48-l-x-36-w-2000-lb-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CPiZs_v3pcQCFdU9gQodziMAjQ

These are meant to be examples of what you could possibly get. Obviously price is a consideration and these are not the cheapest things in the world either, but I think you get the idea. What ever you get, you would also use them on the cars as well. So it might be a worth while long-term investment to purchase the most versatile unit you can afford.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640934_200640934 I have one of these from northerntool which is great!! never had any problems with it at all. the good part is that you can pull the pins out and raise the legs when not in use. I have used mine to split the deere john 420 with out any issues. However, I do always put floor jacks under it as a just incase. But, never any issues in doing it with any tilting problems. I actually mounted an electric wench on it to make some pulls easier for one person. I usually use the hoist for the main pull and support and use the wench for minor tweaks and pulls.

Hey guys, after much consideration I went out and got the Pittsburgh Automotive brand foldable 2 ton hoist. So far I like it. Folded it saves so much space, and I used it to take the snow plow off the the Super A. Just one of the many reasons why I wanted it!

10392470_10204755622465055_5796365345868

11050293_10204755622665060_9053509272378

At this point I just need stands. Maybe I'll go get some wood and use it in a similar fashion as this Farmall Cub (smaller but similar design):

pic09.jpg

I do have two 6 ton jack stands.

Good choice on the hoist

If you have the money, I would advise proper stands

The problem is that I can't find stands that are high enough to reach the underside lol

I'll probably go to one of the local lumbermills and be like "Yooooo I need X amount of wood this size." Preferably pressure treated so they can stand up to the elements and I can reuse them.