Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

old laptop

Ghost

The BIOS is installed onto the motherboards memory. The OS is on your harddrive, so if you swap a harddrive you'll have to re-install windows. If you pull the heatsink off then yes by all means get new thermal paste. Chances are it won't be any good after you pull it. Remember to clean the CPU and heatsink contacts. Some rubbing alcohol on a lint free rag will take it off the CPU and Heatsink. I use coffee filters. Make sure whatever you use is non conductive. Afterwards put a pea sized amount of thermal paste in the center of the CPU and put the heatsink on centered so you get an even spread.

Remember I'm giving you procedures for a desktop. If you need to adapt them for your needs don't be afraid to. Just make sure whatever you do gets a thin, even coat on the CPU.

Oh yea, you don't have to install the updates sequentially, just get the newest.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is a systems max amount of RAM limited by software or hardware? jus curious.

is a systems max amount of RAM limited by software or hardware? jus curious.

Both.

From a software standpoint, it depends on weather or not your OS is 64bit or 32bit.

A 32bit system only utilizes a maximum of 4GB of RAM, while 64bit allows a maximum of 128GB. So, for example, having 16GB of ram on a 32bit system is completely useless because only 8GB will ever be used.

From a hardware standpoint, It depends on how many RAM slots you have available AND what DDR type your MB is compatible with.

Most motherboards have dual channel RAM slots. There are 4 slots in dual channel. Two A slots and two B slots. RAM only works in pairs and matching frequencies. Frequency isn't all that important, but they have to match. You either install both sticks into both A, or both B spots. You can have up to 4 sticks but corresponding slots (A slots/B slots) must match. Both A's have to be the same and both B's have to be the same.

DDR is basically some magic fairy shit that has to do with data transfer speed. The latest being DDR3 (actually DDR4, but its not even getting AMD and Intel support until this year) which is in everything post-2007. All you need to know about it is that each type of DDR (1, 2 and 3) had different notches in the slot to physically prevent putting the wrong type in.

Here is a pic of laptop RAM, notice the different notch locations on the interface. (Top to bottom, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3)

424px-Laptop_SODIMM_DDR_Memory_Compariso

My desktop motherboard has whats called Triple Channel RAM. I have 6 slots. (3 A's and 3 B's) I use the 3 A slots with a total of 12GB of DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz. Obviously I have a 64bit system (Windows 8 Pro)

You can see the 3 RAM slots out of 6 I have taken. (Top-right, orange sticks)

10015159_10202266409876296_1391095476_n.

Yes I know I need to dust my computer haha

interesting. so for the Satellite, its W XP 32bit with 2Gb max, 2 slots. would going to 64bit XP allow the full 2Gb or go up 4Gb or not all? or a newer OS allow more? im not doing any if that, jus curious if it would change. and yes! clean it. one if your heat sinks looks clogged.

It looks like you have single channel DDR2. You can get 4GB out of that 32bit OS. If you do get a 64bit OS, you can add more. Since its single channel the max you can do is 8GB (2x4GB) due to physical restrictions on how many sticks you can actually put in.

• Founders

It looks like you have single channel DDR2. You can get 4GB out of that 32bit OS. If you do get a 64bit OS, you can add more. Since its single channel the max you can do is 8GB (2x4GB) due to physical restrictions on how many sticks you can actually put in.

Just beware XP doesn't play well with anything above 4GB, even on 64bit.

i seriously cannot take apart the DV7! and im basically right there almost done but somethings holding the motherboard and i cant see it. :willy_nilly:

so my DV7 does not have direct inlet vents for the fan like the Satellite. would adding a direct inlet ruin the cooling design? the vents it has are about 2" away near the GPU, like on the CPU and on the RAM.

Probably not, most manufacturers just slap it together and put a vent or two on the side/bottom. As long as there is an inlet and outlet that allows flow over critical parts (CPU/GPU) you'll be okay.

post-15-0-19687000-1395882125_thumb.png

heres the layout. RAM also has an inlet vent. fan does not. i thought about drilling holes for the fan to have direct "cool" air instead of possibly warm internal air that has passed by the CPU and GPU. or dont bother?

• Founders

The number one thing I hated about older laptops and some newer ones is the cooling was never sufficient. Couple friends old HP's fans were crap, clogged and sounded like lawnmowers and overheat. Anything that would be beneficial to the fan is good. Keep in mind though, especially as this is a laptop to protect any openings you create as having a clogged inlet or outlet for the fan is counterproductive.

post-15-0-34408200-1395888890_thumb.jpg

is this thermal tape still good? and maybe ill drill a few holes for the fan. are there any tiny tiny fans that can be added?

In my world, anything "thermal" when i comes to computers in my mind only works once. I guess you could get away with it, but I always like to play it extra safe.

• 3 weeks later...

got a question about the DV7. its connected to my home WiFi. and its set as a Home network. but every few seconds it goes back and forth from normal "Home" to "Identifying". it never loses internet connection. whats causing this?

Whenever its identifying like that something is funky with the router/internet settings. Honestly if you never lose connection when it does this I wouldn't lose sleep over it.