Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My 95 Formula

Time for a brake upgrade.

Yup....I knew somebody would catch that... :lol2: I have a set of "Track Brackets" and C5 calipers I will probably install sometime along with the C5 12.86" rotors. That should give it plenty of whoa power.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a decent upgrade.

Yup....I thought about going with the 98 up F body brakes....but I would have to swap out the the knuckles and spindels.........this way will be a lot easier/faster, besides even though the 98 up F body calipers and C5 calipers are both dual piston calipers made by PBR, the C5 calipers are "pressure cast" which makes them stronger and more durable than the F body versions. Also, I can buy replacement parts virtually anywhere. I have looked at the Wildwoods and Baers, but they are pricey..........I'm thinking about the Baer Brakes for the Firehawk because they have a F body caliper available with the Firehawk logo and are a good system too.........another option yet ....... I have read a thread on another forum that the OP adapted a set of Brembo calipers from a Cadillac to an F body. Maybe by the time I get around to actually working on the Firehawk, there will be a kit available to do just that. :lol2::drool:

The Baer kit is a damn good upgrade, especially with the two piece rotors.

All those PBR calipers will perform pretty much the same, though. GM loved to slap those on a lot of cars, from the GTO, F-body, late model W-body Impalas, even the DTS saw them. The XLR's are basically C5 Corvette calipers.

:agreed: ....I expect normal 2 piston PBR performance......I'm just going with the C5 brakes on this car for ease of conversion and and the convienence of readily available parts because I will be driving this car quite a bit on weekends. Also I thought if I get a wild hair to do a little auto x once or twice a year, the pressure cast PBR's would probably hold up a little better as far heat/pressure cracking goes and I can use a larger rotor than the 98 up F body conversion. I'm building the Hawk primarily for show, cruise nights etc and it will likely never see a day at the track, (well, except for a few 1/4 mile blasts on "test and tune night" here :naughty: ) but the Baer set up would really look trick. The only down fall for the Baer set up is having to order the parts when you need them......... <_< or just keep an extra set of rotors and pads around for the "just in case" I suppose...............

I know the Baer calipers accept C5 pads, but having extra two piece rotors on hand would just be a smart thing to do.

Even some N-body guys have this brake setup, they're worth all the time, money and effort.

Those? No way. It's an entirely different caliper than the floating dual piston style.

However, that is a fucking boss brake kit. I know about those Baer kits, worth every penny. However, those WS-6 wheels are too small. You're going to need 18"s with a very aggressive offset to clear those bad boys.

I'm not planning on putting those on the 95 Bird with the WS6 wheels. I am thinking about putting them on my Firehawk with 17" Speedline wheels. Baer told me they will clear the stock Firehawk Speedlines just fine.........aparently the shape of the Speedlines allows it.....the guy I talked to said they would fit a few other 17" wheels but as you say, they won't fit the WS6 wheels or 17" Ronoak wheels either......

Six pots are huge, dude. I've never seen a 17" wheel fit over them. With 18"s most are a tight fit. I'd look into 18"s if you nab that brake kit, then you'd be screwed big time if the 17"s don't fit.

Six pots are huge, dude. I've never seen a 17" wheel fit over them. With 18"s most are a tight fit. I'd look into 18"s if you nab that brake kit, then you'd be screwed big time if the 17"s don't fit.

I just double checked with both the ebay seller and Baer again. Both say they will fit my 17" Speedlines just fine, Baer tells me they were specificaly designed for the F body Firehawk with stock 17x9 wheels and garauntees them to fit with my 17" Speedlines. Are you a wheel salesman or what? :lol2:

• 4 weeks later...