Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

'61 Bonneville 4 door sedan rim size recommendations?

Hey there,

Please go easy on me if the answer to my questions are out there somewhere, as I'm just new here🥴

My new car (and first ever classic car) is running on original and stock 14x6" rims, with 205/65x14 tyres. Cute, OEM, all that but not real keen on such small rollers.

So...I'm wanting to put a larger set on it. Would like to go 15x8" all round, but unsure if I'll run into lock clearance when turning? If not, what is the usual? 15x8" rears, 15x7" front? If so, thinking of 245/60 up front & 265/60 rears, but again let me know if this will be too big? Maybe 225/60 & 245/60 may be better? Or should I stay with 15x7" all round to be safe?

I do want the tyres to sit within the guards, as I plan to lower ride height so the sill line is somewhere between top of rim & tyre outer radius. This seems like a good stance, but appears to be reasonable enough to allow me to negotiate most driveways without issues?

Any advice greatly appreciated🙌

Cheers from Paradise🌴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hey Fitzy,

Thanks for your reply.

From the specs I’ve read mine is 5x 4 ½” (or 5 x 114.3 in our terms)?

However, I will be careful as wouldn’t be happy to lay out $$$ & have to raise it 4” for clearance.

3 hours ago, Bonne61 said:

Hey Fitzy,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I will be careful as wouldn’t be happy to lay out $$$ & have to raise it 4” for clearance.

First of all welcome to our obsession Bonne61! 
The very first thing you will need to do is make very accurate measurements of fender clearances, wheelwell clearances, offsets, suspension clearances, etc… if you are going to make changes to the suspension as you indicate that will effect those clearances, make them first! Unless you are really good and know how they will change the geometry of the car, don’t guess! After that start figuring your wheel & tire change. 
That said in general most tire & rim combos usually end up pretty close to the same overall diameter, irrespective of rim size. What affects clearance issues more often than not is way to wide of a rim, like 10” or the offset being to much the wrong way. 
So make good measurements & plug them into the attached link in the appropriate places & you will see what you can & can’t do! 
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

An example of my statement is this, my factory rims were P225 16” x 6 with a 43 offset! I had custom rims built. 18” x 8 with a 10 offset for the rears & 23 offset for the fronts. The tires for all 4 rims are P245 45 18”. Yet the over all diameter of the rim & tire combo is exactly the same outside diameter as the 16x6 with P225 tires. All I did was fill as much of the wasted space between the outside fender lip & the inside suspension/inner fender as I could with out making contact with any thing!

these are the original rims/tires

D6F7731D-5356-4277-8456-82DE814C9EB8.jpeg

these are the new

405A6E33-6F93-48B3-91DB-1281C73F6A0F.jpeg

DD820441-12F8-4D9D-A3A0-225B44FC569C.jpeg

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Thank you kind sir😊

I was actually thinking of doing the wheels/tyres first, then do the measure up to see what limits I had left before changing the suspension (if at all).

Like the good gyno says, I’ll look into it 👌🏼

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bonne61 said:

I'm going out on a limb here, but does that sound right? I would have thought 5 x 4.75" may have been your size. You probably should measure for yourself. PCD is measured in a specific way: from memory it's from the outside edge of one wheel stud to the inside edge of the one diametrically opposite. Google it to make sure.

Oh, and once again Kiwi is right - photos, photos, photos. Some of our members have exceedingly short attention spans and reading through miles of crap (like the stuff I write) is hard work for them!

Edited by Fitzy
Forgot something
  • Haha 2

Hey again,

I too love photos, but we are still awaiting delivery.

Photos will be posted, when we have possession.

Very soon...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bonne61 said:

Thank you kind sir😊

I was actually thinking of doing the wheels/tyres first, then do the measure up to see what limits I had left before changing the suspension (if at all).

Like the good gyno says, I’ll look into it 👌🏼

I understand why you would want to do it that way. And there is nothing wrong in doing that if you so chose, but, and this is nothing but a question. How are you going to know what to chose for rims & tires for a change you haven’t made? The link that I provided allows you to play with rim & tire size as well as alter suspension parameters to see where there could be interference. 
You indicated that you would like to lower the car. That being said, suspension restrictions always become more limiting when lowered, due to downward travel, not upward & the greatest movement is downward.
So my only reason to mention this method for choosing rims & tires is, unless you have a way & knowledge of how to look at the triangle axis of suspension movement that you intend to make you won’t know what it will be. Even if you make it with your current wheels!

I may be saying this wrong so please pardon me if I am. 

• Like 1

Paul as you step through this & weight what you want to do here are a few things that might help.

For instance if you want to push the wheel out & ultimately make the rim wider you can build a cheap wheel spacer to place between the rim & brake this will allow you a visual of what it would look like, plus it allows you to visually see how wide you can make the rim. Also if you want to keep the original wheels, but can’t find them in the width you want you can have the original ones widened! I have done this for a couple guys over the years. You just split the original, cut the two halves apart at the drop in groove, roll a piece of flat hot roll stock, weld it all back together.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2