Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My convertible top

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Not sure going to take a look tomorrow by any chance do you know the best way to look at them before I tear the whole car apart lol

• Founders
16 hours ago, vin1069 said:

Not sure going to take a look tomorrow by any chance do you know the best way to look at them before I tear the whole car apart lol

Not too sure the best way to check but @Frosty might have some general insight. He’s a car knowledge god. 

• Founders
Just now, vin1069 said:

How do I get in touch with him to ask a question 

I tagged him in the topic so he’ll answer when he can :) 

Vin,

Look for a 1970 Fisher Body Manual this will have a section on Folding Tops with a lot of Trouble shooting info.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hello all so I figured out the reason for my top having issues it was one of the cylinders so I ordered one from npd yesterday and was wondering of anyone has tips on first what type of fluid I should use I was told atf was good and second how I can add the fluid and what else I need to do to make sure the top works properly once I install the cylinder and add the fluid 

Thank You all for any info you can give me

Good morning vin1069. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Your '70 GTO convertible and my '72 Lemans Sport convertible are identical when it comes to the power top mechanics.

Make sure your hydraulic lines fit the new cylinder ram. I had an issue with mine. The threads match the upper line but not the lower, so I ended up having to get a new set of lower lines. Also it easier to screw the lines into the cylinders (to at least start them) before you mount it into the car. 

ATF - Automatic transmission fluid is fine for your top.

To add the fluid, you have to remove the rubber stopper in the motor inside the trunk. I use a clear 16 oz ketchup bottle I got at my local Kroger for about $2.00.

image.png.d0c3c56889e4b62c14cfba3194dad57d.png

Fill it with ATF and you can crawl inside the trunk and fill up the reservoir of the motor/pump. Make sure you have a rag handy to wipe up any that comes out. It's best if you have someone else cycle the power switch with you in the trunk (so you don't have to constantly crawl in and out of the trunk). Cycle the top a few times - both up and down. Pay attention to the amount of air in the lines as it goes up and down. You will probably have to fill the reservoir several times to get a lot of the air out in order for the top to go up and down reliably. Make sure you connections to your new cylinder is tight and does not leak. That's currently the problem I have and I am afraid I have to replace the line or the cylinder - again.

Thank you very much for the info I will have to figure out how to take what looks like a cover in the trunk out so I can get to the motor  you wouldn't know how to do that by any chance

The convertible top cover can be push up back into the interior. Grab some wooden clothes pins and pin it rail that holds the convertible boot or grab some weighted bags like cornhole bags to weigh it down out of the way. I assume at this point you have the back seat and rear quarter interior panels out of the car so you can work on the cylinders.

Edited by Frosty

Yes I have the seat out and the passenger panel out the drivers side looked good the passenger side was leaking from the top by the piston but in the trunk I have what looks like a cover I guess the hide the top from the trunk area not sure how to get behind it to get to the motor

That cover is what the top folds down into when it is retracted right? It helps any water from the top run to the side of the car and drains out there and keeps it away from the trunk, the motor, and the electrical connection. It's a huge pain in the butt when you are trying to get to the motor. That's why I push it up and weigh it down or pin it.