Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Low traction light

I an thinking one of the front wheel bearings however I'm having trouble find it. Symptoms are when sitting still turning the wheels the low traction light comes on. No other lights ie ABS. I know the normal things to check. The plug on the speed sensors. The bearings seem fine I don't hear the humming or tire noises at speed. If I Jack car up there is no play any direction nor do I feel any grabbing feeling or drying out sounds in the wheel hub. Any other way to check them 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

In theory, the low traction light comes on when the ECM/BCM detects a difference in wheel speeds. Since you said you are not moving, this leads me to believe that you probably have a bad wheel speed sensor and/or hub. I would suggest checking the sensors themselves and perhaps replacing one or more of them.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, Lynn5907 said:

I an thinking one of the front wheel bearings however I'm having trouble find it. Symptoms are when sitting still turning the wheels the low traction light comes on. No other lights ie ABS. I know the normal things to check. The plug on the speed sensors. The bearings seem fine I don't hear the humming or tire noises at speed. If I Jack car up there is no play any direction nor do I feel any grabbing feeling or drying out sounds in the wheel hub. Any other way to check them 

On 1/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Frosty said:

In theory, the low traction light comes on when the ECM/BCM detects a difference in wheel speeds. Since you said you are not moving, this leads me to believe that you probably have a bad wheel speed sensor and/or hub. I would suggest checking the sensors themselves and perhaps replacing one or more of them.

What Frosty says is accurate, & usually the problem as you won’t see an ABS light unless you hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS manifold. If you have or can get an OBDii tool it will tell you which wheel is the culprit.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

Put the car up in the air and put her in drive lol. Funny thing is one tire spun and other didnt. It cool to see I differential in action. ( wish it was limited slip) . But to the point found the bearing. It wobbles. Not side to side but rather up and down. How you all figure that is? 

• Like 1

Are you sure it is a bearing..?? And not a bent or flat spotted wheel or something along those lines..Is there any unusual grinding or roaring noise when driving straight or rounding curves ETC....??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes at 72 n up there is a deep bass noise that sounds like a hub when str8.  I did say both wheels where in the air???? I check bearing by hand and it did seem to have play. Idk two lane other then this. There might be a small flat spot but I can feel it in car. The low track light pops on when turn sitting still

Edited by Lynn5907

Could very well be a wheel bearing...As far as low traction light I agree with Frosty and Last Indian..one of the wheel speed  sensors..Unless there is something obvious you will have to hit it with a scanner to tell which wheel it is...

• Thanks 2