Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

the winter project

well the sunfire is getting a new power plant this winter, a 3400 V6

let the disscusion begin........lol

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Get ready to replace a few LIM gaskets down the line. ;)

Kidding, good luck with the swap man.

meh, ecotecs are to over rated for me, easier to swap? yes, but i want a torque monster of a car, so V6 is the way to go, plus i know where i can get a blower for it ;)

Good luck finding an M62 blower for the LA1.

And I hate to say it, but for performance...

L61 > LA1

The Ecotec just has a better aftermarket support. Easier to boost and make power.

Don't get me wrong, the LA1 will make awesome power with an LX9 top swap, ported heads, ported UIM & LIM, 62mm throttle body, cam, headers and a tune, but you'll need boost to make +300 HP, and use the 262 five speed trans. The 4T45E trans you'll find behind most LA1s are total weaksauce.

i would go eco but there to common around me, and ill be one of the only v6 swap J's in my area, plus my buddy down the road has a blower for the 3400, wether he will sell it i dont know

O'rly?

Pics of the said blower. I'm betting money it's an M90 from an L67 motor. Damn n00bs always thinking 90* parts work on 60* motors. :lol2:

Also, Eco swaps are better, simply because of how easy you'll get power from it. As far as boost goes, parts and tuning will be 1000x easier with an L61 motor versus the LA1.

Hell, just lurk on the Ecotec forums, and see the power these motors are capable of. It surpasses the outdated LA1 by far.

i have to agree. my buddy had a 2.2 ecotec in his cavi and was pulling 13's all day and night off of 15 lbs. but, he eventually got rid of his cavi and upgraded to an FD rx-7 with the veilside wide body kit. its meh i guess. lol

yeah would do the LNF but it'd be more work than the V6, and i have a severe thing about being different and original with my car, so ecotec is a no go, and i have easy acess to the 3400 more so than eco's

If you're so gung-ho on doing an LA1 swap, do your homework on what makes these motors tick.

Stock, these motors have NO top end. Past 4300rpms, they just run out of breath. You'll need to increase airflow, IE ported intakes, ported heads, cam, bigger throttle body, etc. Of course, the dreaded LIM leak, due to the crappy plastic ones GM designed, but that should be changed before the swap. The LA1 also runs best with NGK Iridiums, either the actual NGK ones, or the AC Delco plugs.

I'd check out these sites for all performance needs:

PARTS:

www.WOT-TECH.com

www.60inclusive.com

Performance Tech (forums)

www.FullThrottleV6.com

www.60degreeV6.com

this may sound stupid, but whatsan LIM? i dont know a whole lot about the 60* V6's yet

Sounds like fun. I have seen a few engine swaps in the J-body line. They make evil cars. There is a guy somewhere between here and Toronto who is dropping in a Northstar V8 into a Cavalier. One of the Super Chevy Show's that I have been to I had seen a 572 rear wheel drive 02 Cavalier. Good luck with the swap. Since it is a 60 degree engine are you going to try and adapt a cradle from a pre 94 cavalier or make your own?

it actually almost bolt in place with no frame work at all, just modified mounts

im not to worried about it right now, the v6 will be fairly stock for awhile after its put in, other than a few bolt ons

I'd reinforce the chassis as much as possible, you're dropping in a motor that makes a lot more torque than with the LN2. I dyno'd my GA:

167HP

215TQ

Keep that in mind with the LN2's five speed. Also, the 282's gear ratios are better suited to the LA1's powerband.

yeah, itll be getting a k-frame brace and a few other things to take care of that, but it can wait till the engine is sitting in the car, but i need an engine first LOL