Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Suspension / Drive-Ability Improvements - 67 GTO

I am looking to improve the drive-ability of my 67 GTO and was hoping for advice. I have a 400 -4speed with drum brakes all around and original type suspension.  Ten years ago I replaced all the body bushings, front /rear suspension bushings, shocks and rear springs and after my motor rebuild I also put power steering in. Suspension is in working order and I have new tires on the car but it tends to be more floaty on the road then I'd like. I'd like to get the suspension stiffened up as much as I can without going for broke as I knew just replacing with original wouldn't improve the drive-ability but now I am looking to do that. My budget is is around $2000 which I know is not a lot, I have been reading the forums and searching for information and figured it was time to ask for advice. I am thinking about new lower front and rear springs, shocks, and at least a front rotor conversion and possibility replacing the front sway bar and maybe adding a back bar? From what I researched I can do these modes myself for about what I am thinking about spending. Any thought's are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Stephen

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Upgraded my 66, with Drilled/slotted rotors, You must upgrade to power brake system ( hint....go with the 9in booster!) I tried all 3 sizes.   Buy a complete kit.  Solve your ride height problems with QA1 adjustable coilovers.  Installed mine this year and love em.  Not only ride height adjustable, but 18 different shock dampening settings to full race.  When building my frontend...used only urethane bushings throughout.  Should be able to get all for 1500.00.  Make your choice on rear end mods after driving with the front end mods.  You will be very happy on how she handles.

I was thinking that the front brake conversion was the first thing I'd tackle, I have no experience with the shock coilovers. Do you happen to have any pics of when you did the swap? I started to look into the lower coils when I noticed that you can get a lowered rotor conversion, I was hoping for advice as to which is better, also I didn't want to lower the front with lowering the back at the same time. Thanks, By the way do you know of anyone who converted to a hydraulic clutch on a 66/67? This is also in my bucket list.

Right now I am doing a hydraulic clutch on my Chevelle right now.  Currently, I am doing research on it.   You have to figure out if you want to do a push or pull type hydraulic clutch or a hydraulic throw out bearing.  As for the mounting system look into Speedway motors they do have some clutch master kits that can help you out.

On 11/28/2015, 9:00:09, plumbad67 said:

I was thinking that the front brake conversion was the first thing I'd tackle, I have no experience with the shock coilovers. Do you happen to have any pics of when you did the swap? I started to look into the lower coils when I noticed that you can get a lowered rotor conversion, I was hoping for advice as to which is better, also I didn't want to lower the front with lowering the back at the same time. Thanks, By the way do you know of anyone who converted to a hydraulic clutch on a 66/67? This is also in my bucket list.

You will have the A arms apart to install the brake conversion, time to do whatever you plan with the springs too.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, after much research. I plan on replacing the spings , shocks and front bushings along with changing the  front drums to rotors. I also plan on replacing the back control arm bushings and doing a bearing rebuild on my differential. I'll be pulling the motor to tackle the leaky oil pan and while I'm at the 4 speed will get a rebuild as well. Starting in the new year and should be completed by summer. I have one question. I'm thinking that since I'll be doing alot to the rear differential I would just unbolt one end of each control arm and drop the whole axle assembly and then unbolt the arms from the differential on the bench. Does anyone have any thought's, gotcha's or tricks regarding removing the complete axle assembly? Thanks,

• 4 months later...

If you are upgrading your brakes from non power drum to power front disc brakes then you will need Power Front Disc Brake Springs otherwise your car will nose dive under braking.

When you upgrade your brakes you might have to upgrade your rims? Good Luck - Mutt 455