Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS This insane Barris-like custom car a backyard BMW Z3 build

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Design/Style, Videos, BMW, UK, Coupe, Specialty

Englishman Paul Bacon spent 18 months in his back yard building the Cosmotron, with custom bodywork sitting on the bones of a 1998 BMW Z3. It's got six SU carbs. Topped by salt-and-pepper shakers.

Continue reading This insane Barris-like custom car a backyard BMW Z3 build

This insane Barris-like custom car a backyard BMW Z3 build originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 20:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/08/insane-custom-jetsons-cosmotron-bmw-z3-video/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Stratman - I like your style. "Trixie" Roth - Ed's widow is a friend of mine, and Ed certainly could have come up with this car. I also submit a couple of other kustom car builders that could possibly have built this car too.

I suggest builder #1 - Daryl Starbird - the King of Bubble Tops himself

Daryl-Starbird-Car-Feb.-2014-195-685x4510807sr_15_z+darryl_starbird_tulsa_car_sh

I submit builder #2 - Carl Casper

800px-Carl-casper-cosmic-invader-05145.j

Carl-casper-ghost.jpg

• Like 1

Stratman - I like your style. "Trixie" Roth - Ed's widow is a friend of mine, and Ed certainly could have come up with this car. I also submit a couple of other kustom car builders that could possibly have built this car too.

I suggest builder #1 - Daryl Starbird - the King of Bubble Tops himself

Daryl-Starbird-Car-Feb.-2014-195-685x4510807sr_15_z+darryl_starbird_tulsa_car_sh

I submit builder #2 - Carl Casper

800px-Carl-casper-cosmic-invader-05145.j

Carl-casper-ghost.jpg

Right on Frosty!... How could I have forgotten Daryl Starbird?! :slap:

When I was a kid, our entertainment was building models and I built my fair share of planes and cars. But the cars I built were not stock or race cars, I built custom cars. I loved (and still do!) the '60s customs and I new all the customizers back then... Barris, Roth, Starbird, Winfield, Alexander Bros., Jeffries, etc. Man, this brings back good memories... :wub:

• Like 1

OMG Stratman - I agree with you 100%. My brother and I built model after model from Revell, AMT, and MPC as kids. Remember the Paddy Wagon, Red Baron, Boot Hill Express, Pie Wagon, Tijuana Taxi, the Tarantula, not to mention all the dragsters and Funny cars from Revell?

Carl Casper grew up in Flint. My dad's barber was his uncle and he got us tickets every year to the custom car show at the old IMA Auditorium. So we got to see Carl's latest creations every year, plus some of the craziest customs of the day by other premiere builders. Sadly, Carl only does one car show a year now, in Louisville Kentucky. He left Flint back in the late 60s. Carl's uncle has been gone for nearly 30 years.

I talked to Gene Winfield last winter when he was at the Detroit Autorama. He was chopping the top of a '62 Ford Starliner during the show. I first met Gene back in 2004 at Rockin' Rods on Route 66 show in Bloomington Illinois. We had breakfast with my buddy Chuck. Chuck and Gene are buddies and he introduced Gene to me years ago. In fact, it is thru Chuck that I've met George Barris, Daryl Starbird, and Trixie Roth too. I have a T-shirt with all of their autographs from the Rockin' Rods show. I have several Rat Fink T-shirts signed by Trixie too. Actually, I don't think there is anyone in the classic custom car industry that Chuck doesn't know. He knows the Alexander Brothers too. George Barris' brother Sam, "Candy Apple Red" Joe Bailon. Bill Hines are just a few others that come to mind.

All I can say is that I've been very fortunate to meet this wonderful legends.

those are some cool designs. what would these be made of? some type of fiberglass /composite? and do you guys still have these models you speak of? pics?

those are some cool designs. what would these be made of? some type of fiberglass /composite? and do you guys still have these models you speak of? pics?

The the material of bodies vary with the builder. Some are fiberglass, others are metal, it just depends. Typically a custom body is made by using a wood buck and then the sheet metal or fiberglass is form fitted over the wood buck.

Sadly, most of the models either got broken or thrown away over time. The nice thing is though, you can still find these model kits - they are either still available on the internet or you can find them at swap meets.

edrothoutlaw.jpg

85-4194-lg.jpg

Revell-MODEL-1-24-SCALE-military-models-Tom-Daniel_Red-Baron_Monogram-Model.jpg

revell-tom-daniels-trantula-custom-drags

boxart.jpg

Some of the Funny Cars I built

85-4082-lg.jpg85-4288-2.jpgRevell%207444%20Grandam.JPGRevell%207464%20SnakedFunexc.JPG

• Like 1

The the material of bodies vary with the builder. Some are fiberglass, others are metal, it just depends. Typically a custom body is made by using a wood buck and then the sheet metal or fiberglass is form fitted over the wood buck.

Sadly, most of the models either got broken or thrown away over time. The nice thing is though, you can still find these model kits - they are either still available on the internet or you can find them at swap meets.

edrothoutlaw.jpg

85-4194-lg.jpg

Revell-MODEL-1-24-SCALE-military-models-Tom-Daniel_Red-Baron_Monogram-Model.jpg

revell-tom-daniels-trantula-custom-drags

boxart.jpg

Some of the Funny Cars I built

85-4082-lg.jpg85-4288-2.jpgRevell%207444%20Grandam.JPGRevell%207464%20SnakedFunexc.JPG

Hey Frosty, like you, I had thought all my models were long gone. Well, I was working in my garage yesterday and came across this old shoebox.

49Merc001_zps9e1d502e.jpg

Inside was an old '49 Merc model project I had been working on decades earlier! I have no idea how it survived all these years, only to be discovered after getting all nostalgic over old model kits here on FP!

49Merc002_zps2c56c222.jpg

It is just a couple of bodies, some tools, and a tube of putty that's hard as a rock! The rest of the parts are long gone.

49Merc005_zpsff8649eb.jpg

49Merc022_zps341c2337.jpg

It looks like I cut out the upper grille opening on the stock body, turned it upside down, and blended it into the bottom of the grille opening of the modified body to create a symmetrical opening. Also, the hood has been "nosed".

49Merc010_zps9b6ebf97.jpg

49Merc015_zpsd4ab088a.jpg

The top has been chopped. I'm sure you can buy chopped '49 Merc kits now, but back in the day you had to do it yourself. So for all you youngsters out there who have never built a model, this is how we chopped a '49 Merc... First you cut out the rear window and then you cut a small section out of the pillars. Before you put the roof back on, you cut out the rear side windows including the "B" pillars. Glue the roof back on lining up the windshield pillars, glue the in the rear window, and glue in the side windows lining up the "B" pillars with the doors. Nothing fits exactly, so now you spend mucho time filling in the gaps with pieces of plastic and plastic model putty and a lot of wet sanding. I also "shaved" the door handles, side trim, and wipers, cut out the vent windows and the bracing on the windshield and back window. Here's a kind of before and after shot...

49Merc020_zpsc138254e.jpg

49Merc019_zpsed570370.jpg

49Merc021_zps040c513f.jpg

49Merc008_zpsd05c59d1.jpg

Here's what it looks like underneath. You can see I cut some scrap plastic into strips to aid in gluing this all back together.

49Merc016_zps35e73fba.jpg

This was probably an AMT kit, so maybe I should look around for one and finish this up... all the hard works been done!

Hey Frosty, like you, I had thought all my models were long gone. Well, I was working in my garage yesterday and came across this old shoebox.

49Merc001_zps9e1d502e.jpg

Inside was an old '49 Merc model project I had been working on decades earlier! I have no idea how it survived all these years, only to be discovered after getting all nostalgic over old model kits here on FP!

49Merc002_zps2c56c222.jpg

It is just a couple of bodies, some tools, and a tube of putty that's hard as a rock! The rest of the parts are long gone.

49Merc005_zpsff8649eb.jpg

49Merc022_zps341c2337.jpg

It looks like I cut out the upper grille opening on the stock body, turned it upside down, and blended it into the bottom of the grille opening of the modified body to create a symmetrical opening. Also, the hood has been "nosed".

49Merc010_zps9b6ebf97.jpg

49Merc015_zpsd4ab088a.jpg

The top has been chopped. I'm sure you can buy chopped '49 Merc kits now, but back in the day you had to do it yourself. So for all you youngsters out there who have never built a model, this is how we chopped a '49 Merc... First you cut out the rear window and then you cut a small section out of the pillars. Before you put the roof back on, you cut out the rear side windows including the "B" pillars. Glue the roof back on lining up the windshield pillars, glue the in the rear window, and glue in the side windows lining up the "B" pillars with the doors. Nothing fits exactly, so now you spend mucho time filling in the gaps with pieces of plastic and plastic model putty and a lot of wet sanding. I also "shaved" the door handles, side trim, and wipers, cut out the vent windows and the bracing on the windshield and back window. Here's a kind of before and after shot...

49Merc020_zpsc138254e.jpg

49Merc019_zpsed570370.jpg

49Merc021_zps040c513f.jpg

49Merc008_zpsd05c59d1.jpg

Here's what it looks like underneath. You can see I cut some scrap plastic into strips to aid in gluing this all back together.

49Merc016_zps35e73fba.jpg

This was probably an AMT kit, so maybe I should look around for one and finish this up... all the hard works been done!

Bravo Stratman Bravo !!!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Not only did you recover part of your youth, you have give the youngens' here an education in plastic in how the pros do a proper top chop!!!! I am truly impressed. I certainly hope you finish your "lead sled" Merc some time in the near future.

I think it might look like this some day!!!!

post-317-0-63715800-1421724380_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is Gene WInfield himself chopping the top off of a '61 Ford Starliner at last year's Detroit Autorama. That's Gene holding the tape measure.

post-317-0-43226200-1421726664_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-67199100-1421726698_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-10236000-1421726729_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bravo Stratman Bravo !!!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Not only did you recover part of your youth, you have give the youngens' here an education in plastic in how the pros do a proper top chop!!!! I am truly impressed. I certainly hope you finish your "lead sled" Merc some time in the near future.

I think it might look like this some day!!!!

Thanks Frosty! I am thinking of finishing this, but I've got to figure out what kit these bodies came from. I'm leaning toward AMT because that was probably 80 to 90 percent of what I built. I've seen their '49 Mercury kit reissued many times over the years, but most of the reissues leave out a lot of the cool custom parts of the original. BTW, I really like the Mercury you posted especially the '57 Cadillac hubcaps with the bullet in the center. If I could find them in the right scale, they would be my first choice (or '53 Olds Fiesta and '59 Dodge Lancer hubcaps), I just don't know what's out there since I've been out of the hobby for so long.

Stratman - check this model kit out. I think it might have a lot of cool parts you are looking for.

AMT, MPC, Revell, or Monogram 1/25 scale would be my first choices.

http://round2models.com/models/amt/49-merc-club

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAHy3HsmFE

• Like 1

Stratman - check this model kit out. I think it might have a lot of cool parts you are looking for.

AMT, MPC, Revell, or Monogram 1/25 scale would be my first choices.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAHy3HsmFE

Yep... that's exactly the way I remember that kit as a kid, a lot of cool parts! B) Hopefully that kit is still available.

Hit the link I provided above the video or below. It is an online store that specializes in new and old model kits and slot cars. It appears to still be available. The asking price is $25 (plus shipping and handling I would imagine).

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt654.htm

• Like 1

Hit the link I provided above the video or below. It is an online store that specializes in new and old model kits and slot cars. It appears to still be available. The asking price is $25 (plus shipping and handling I would imagine).

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt654.htm

Thanks Frosty!