Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

GTO TEX's 1966 GTO

2018 June
of the Month

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Sign in to follow this  
geafer69

geafer69

Question

Can anyone tell me why my 87 Pontiac Acadian vibrates really loud when im driving? I thought it was just my snow tires, but its getting worse. Every once and a while it will stop vibrating for a few seconds and it drives smooth then. Then the airplane vibrations start again. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Manual or automatic transmission? How are the ball joints? Has the driveshaft been damaged or throw a balancing weight? Check the u-joints also. When you put the snows on did you use a torque wrench or did you use an impact?

These are just some of what I came up with. I so have to check this out since I would love to build an Acadian drag car of those years.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Welcome! I'd love to pics of the car as well.

I'm not too sure as to what could be the cause of the vibrations but, if you put the wheels on your self, I'd go get a good balance done, just to be sure everything was put on right.

Wheel bearings. They hum like a mofo when they go bad.

I will put pics up soon. Want to clean it up first. The ball joints should be good and all the suspension is new. I was thinking it was the u-joints. I'll be taking the winters off in about a month anyways, so when I swap the tires I'll get a balancing and alignment done. Unfortunately the winter tires were on the car when I bought it in the Fall, so not sure how they were put on. Thanks alot for your comments guys, really appreciate it.

If the winters werent put on right that could easily be the issue. I am not sure but dont winter tires have more road noise anyway? But if they are off balance then I could totally see it bouncing and humming from vibration.

If the winters werent put on right that could easily be the issue. I am not sure but dont winter tires have more road noise anyway? But if they are off balance then I could totally see it bouncing and humming from vibration.

This should be the answer. Like said I'd start off with a balance and an alignment and go from there if that doesn't fix it.

Yeahh I originally thought that it was the winter tires making all the noise. But it's been getting worse lately. Also I figured if it was the wheels howling it would be pretty consistent, but it will stop for a few seconds, run smoothe then kick back in. We will see soon enough I guess. Thanks again for your help guys. I will post again when It has been resolved and let you know what it was. :D