Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New headlights- factory or LED?

I need to buy new headlights for my 2007 black Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (86,000 miles, original owner, excellent condition). I'm kind of a purist but am leaning towards the new LED style for better visibility at night. Thoughts between sticking with the original factory style or upgrading to the new LED style.... also, if you have a suggestion on where to buy them... Thanks 

20190102_072836.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

LED/HID are amazing in my opinion. However, I would suggest to make sure if you do go that route that you have a correct housing for the "bulb" so that you can aim it properly and not blind other drivers. That is my main complaint with retrofitting (and some stock manufacturers as well lol).

I have no experience with LED headlights, just LED replacement bulbs for turn signals and such. I do have experience with replacement halogen/xenon-halogen headlights on my son's 2006 Hummer H3. We installed a set of custom projector Xenon headlights in the Hummer last summer.

My son insisted on projector headlights, which I am not a big fan of. This required an entire separate wiring harness that had to be added to the vehicle (it was not hard but it required removing the front grille and zip ties along with tying it into the electrical panel under the hood. The wiring harness was needed to generate the power to drive the projector-specific Xenon bulbs. These are not OEM replacement Xenon bulbs that you can get from the likes of Autozone, O'Reilly's or RockAuto.com. They do their job projecting out, the only down side is that he is constantly getting flashed a lot by other drivers at night who think he has his high beams on. So again - not a fan of projector Xenon.

Now, you can buy stock replacement halogen and xenon-halogen bulbs from your local auto parts store. Those, I would recommend buying based on your budget and taste. The bluer bulbs are popular. I'd start there. Having no experience with LED head lamps, I say go ahead and try it. However, they are way more pricier than the halogen or xenon bulbs. $26 for a pair of halogen, $62 for a pair of Xenon bulbs, $160 for a pair of LED bulbs at Autozone.com. So how much do you want to spend on this? If memory servers, your Grand Prix needs both a set of high and low beam bulbs, so essentially double the prices above for two sets of bulbs.

Edited by Frosty

13 hours ago, Martha said:

I need to buy new headlights for my 2007 black Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (86,000 miles, original owner, excellent condition). I'm kind of a purist but am leaning towards the new LED style for better visibility at night. Thoughts between sticking with the original factory style or upgrading to the new LED style.... also, if you have a suggestion on where to buy them... Thanks 

20190102_072836.jpg

Well IMO the headlights for GPs 97-09 we’re pretty poor as far as lightning the road! There are some nice aftermarket units that are projection headlights & projection headlights do a much better job at directing the light where it belongs. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ This is a great place to buy from, knows their stuff & if you go with a place like this you can get a plug and play set up, but you’ll have to get the headlights from some one else, they only deal with the lights.

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to go oldschool and keep to the OEM parts, although it's more OE then OEM now since GM isn't making them anymore. I may look into upgrading the bulbs once these burn out.