Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1966(poor man gto) Tempest HEI distributor issues

ok here is a silly thought could the starter be overheating due to the headers on the motor? I know some of my questions seem really silly to some but I am learning, hehe and thank you for not abusing me to bad....

Yes, Pontiac engines can have heat soak issues. You can fab up or purchase a heat shield for it. Some guys will purchase a hi-torque mini-starter rather than use a stock replacement because of the wrap around nature of Pontiac headers to the starter. Check around to see if anyone in your area has a hi-torque for a Pontiac, otherwise Jegs or Summit will have what you need. I sold my hi-torque starter to Indymanjoe. He loves it.

This is just a generic starter from a parts store(the new one). I doubt it is a heavy duty starter. I should probably order one from OPGI or Summit? Any recommendations on a particular brand or company to buy one from?

The car didn't shake it just sounded like a metal on metal sound when I tried to crank it. And looked underneath and found that the starter was broken.

I would just check with your local parts counter and ask them if they have a heavy duty starter rather than the generic one. A lot of places still carry them or that is the only one for Pontiacs that they do carry. Use OPGI or Summit as a last resort for a stock heavy duty replacement, the weight will be murder on shipping costs.

I know the Chevys are prone to the heat soak of the starter motor with headers. This could be the issue as well for the Pontiac. I know a couple people who have adapted the heat shield off of a 73-87 GM truck for their GTOs

I have had heat soak issues with Lucy in the past. A heat shield definitely a good idea and rather inexpensive insurance, especially with the wrap around nature of headers on Pontiacs around the starter.

Good morning notallthere, I tired to start the Pontiac this morning and it crank and started no problem. That might be the problem. I appreciate the advice. Ill check out and see if any junk yards have it. Ill look around and see if we have any laying also.

That is typical of a Pontiac when it cools down, it starts with no issue. When it gets hot and then it starts hard or won't start at all until it is cool enough.

Good luck.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, well while searching for a heat shield found one a 2006 Jaguar motor we had lying around. The heat shield was wrapped around the exhaust manifold. I "modified" it so it covered all of the solenoid. I reinstalled the 5000lb starter drove it the car around got it to operating temp and parked it for a few minutes and tried starting it again. No problem so far. But now we have another issue while driving the car while sitting at a light the car began to stutter and want to stall. Made it home and after I turned the car off noticed that the carb was just pouring fuel. The carb is a 750 edlebrock performer. It is fairly new. Is it time for a new one or just try to repair this one? (will attach a picture of the heat shield and "modified" heat shield on the starter)

You may have a bad float or a sticking Needle valve is not shutting off the incomming fuel flow. Easy fix. Pop the top and carefully remove without messin up the gasket. Check float assembly, needle valve and bowl fuel level. I've always used Holley carbs and have never messed with Edlebrock carbs. They are all basically the same. Are you using an electric fuel pump? Do you have it set for more than 5-6 lbs of pressure?

You may have a bad float or a sticking Needle valve is not shutting off the incomming fuel flow. Easy fix. Pop the top and carefully remove without messin up the gasket. Check float assembly, needle valve and bowl fuel level. I've always used Holley carbs and have never messed with Edlebrock carbs. They are all basically the same. Are you using an electric fuel pump? Do you have it set for more than 5-6 lbs of pressure?

I'm sure I don't have to say this, BUT.......Whenever working on a carb on the car, make SURE to keep any parts from getting past the throttle plates. Small piece of Tape slightly larger than each barrel, sticky side up pushed down to the throttle plates will catch any loose parts and save them from destroying your engine.

Hey JustA6, I will never shy away from any advice no matter how mundane it may seem. Sometimes we get so involved with the big picture that we forget sometimes about the very minor important details...So I found a manual for the edlebrock carbs(I tried to post the link for it but it would not let me. Saying that I am not allowed to post a file like that. Weird). However it states to take the top off and flip it over and adjust the float clearance with the gasket in place to 7/16 of an inch. Then lip the top up right and let the float hang and the clearance should be 15/16 to 1 inch. I did all that and it still is flooding. Could the needle and seat be bad? How about fuel pressure, to high? It is a regular fuel pump.....

A normal mechanical fuel pump rules out too much pressure. While carb is apart, check your needle tip's (should be rubber) if it has a ring indented in the rubber tip, caused from the seat...replace. This can happen from sitting. If needle seems OK, moves freely up and down to the seat, next to check is the floats. (your pic shows brass floats) If there is fuel inside they are bad. Old time trick... Boil a pan of water, Submerge each float for 60 seconds or so with pliers. (giving the brass time to heat up) If they start leaking bubbles from a seam, replace. Last thing to check while apart would be the accelerator pump seal. Looks new in the picture, but might have a tear or nick in the seal. Also from sitting, the seal edges sometimes glues itself to the sides of the cylinder its in. You did mention the car was running and you had a hard time getting home. Did you run the car at all with the air cleaner off? Replacement carb might be sitting to low. Check your air horn to cleaner top clearance. Rule of thumb = 1/4 in of space minimum. Can cause over rich problems.

Hear is the factory link if you can't find anything wrong.

http://www.edelbrock.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys, Finally got a chance to work on "Tillie"...(Work is very over rated!! HEHE!)

I ordered a rebuild kit from Edelbrock and a set of floats. Just A6 I did what you recommended with the floats, which I must say I never thought of doing, and the floats are fine. I ended up replacing the needles and seats and voila!! No more leaking/flooding. I took the car for a drive and it ran pretty well, sort of. Well the first thing I noticed was a nice puddle of antifreeze on the inside passenger side floor. And ordered and replaced the heater core, twice. You really have to love when new parts are defective(I'll send a picture of the defective heater core)

Then I also noticed the car does run a little rough. If the rockers are not tighten properly could that cause the car to run rough?(Just to double check to tighten the rockers on my engine, 326, the vehicle needs to be running and remove one valve cover at a time and then tighten?) And how can you tell if they are tighten properly? Hope everyone is doing good...

[

You cant really tell from the picture but the rubber piece has a nice ring around it compared to the new one.

Also readjusted the floats.

Glad you have the carb squared away. Heater cores suck! If your still smelling antifreeze inside, spread a light coating of baking soda over the carpet and let it sit for a day or 2 to soak up the smell. Vacuum and your good to go. Ok, last carb question. Did you adjust with a vacuum gauge to achieve max manifold vacuum?

Rule of thumb for most engines, Warm up engine til normal operating temp. I like to start at 1 1/2 turns out from seated position (don't overtighten,JUSTA seat it) remove the vacuum hose from base of carb and install vacuum gauge hose. Start with idle screw, turn 1/4 out, then the other screw 1/4 at a time. Adjust until you get the highest RPM going back N forth. Then, keep going back N forth til both are reading the same RPM. When you reach that point, back both off 1/8 to quarter turn on both screws. Should be good to go. Re attach vacume line. You may have to re-adjust the engine idle screw on the throttle linkage. I like 8-900 rpm at idle.

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys. JustA6 I finally put on the electric choke kit. I performed the procedure as you stated it seems to be running fairly well. I just have a couple of more questions, the idle screw your talking about is that the one located on the bottom or is it higher up, closer to the top of the carb? ill attach a picture to show what I am talking about. I believe Frosty answered this(thank you if you did Frosty and hello!) to properly adjust the rockers how do you do that? I tried finding some information on it but no luck. Also Frosty I took your advice and installed a high torque starter. What a difference. You definitely were right a bit pricey but worth it....

The picture of the motor is probably not the best to show the carb and the screw I am talking about. But if your looking at the front of the carb its on the right side. I tried to circle it.

And I can here the comment s about the jerry rigged heat shield..hehe.. Just be gentle..hehe

Thanks again guys. If anyone ever needs a tow give us a call. Just got a new truck.....

And that picture was taken before the Pontiac was running..hehe...

I need one of them starters! Great lookin RIG, esp loaded with the beautiful Pontiac! Can't see much in the pic, but idle adjust is right side. Work the throttle by hand, when you return the throttle back down, the idle adjust screw will be the point that stops forward motion with contact. Heat shield?? Looks like your air cleaner to me. naughty.gif

I'll tell you Just A6 the starter is great. It is a little pricey( I think it cost around $228) but no starting problems at all. Besides being half the size and weight what I like about it is it's a gear reduction starter and it actually has two bolts on the front of it so you can position it any way you need. Definitely worth the money. I am going to attach a picture of the home made heat shield and a picture of the carb just to make sure I am turning/adjusting the correct screw...

Nice Ghetto heat shield huh? hehe

Is the screw you are talking about the top one or the bottom on?

Thanks on the rig. It's a side business and in the infant stages of the business but hopefully things keep going the way the are and just keep going up from here...

Nice Ghetto heat shield huh? hehe

Is the screw you are talking about the top one or the bottom on?

Thanks on the rig. It's a side business and in the infant stages of the business but hopefully things keep going the way the are and just keep going up from here...

Looks like the bottom one for the idle adjust. Make note of the original position so you can put it back if thats not the right one. (spoken like a true HOLLEY guy) Nobody's gonna look that close on the heat shield and as long as it's workin for U...All good!

• 1 month later...

Good morning guys. Just wanted to say Happy very late fathers day to all the dads. Been a very busy few  weeks(work, family) but just wanted to say hi. The Tempest unfortunately has been put on the back burner, for now. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks she will be going out for a nice cruise. Hope everyone's summer ride is leaving some rubber.. hehe