Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I don't think that would happen. Cadillac's foray's into 2-door roadsters have always been V8 powered with either the Northstar powered Allante or Notherstar-powered or supercharged Northstar powered XLR. The Kappa platform was 2-door roadster platform that Saturn, Pontiac, and Opel/Vauhall took advantage of to compete with the likes of the Mazda Miata with a Ecotec 4 cylinder engine or a turbo charged version. I don't see a version of this car fitting a niche in Cadillac's product line up or customer demographic profile.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but... I wished they would have aimed higher - and maybe that was the ultimate plan with Bob Lutz. Nothing like an American car competing with the likes of BMW and Mercedes - which the Cadillac does so well. Heck, I think it surpasses them in many ways. The Kappa platform could easily compete with the Z4 and SLK class of cars if they wanted in both standard and M4/AMG formats. That engine bay was designed just right - a supercharged or twin turbo six would fit nicely. Anything more and the insurance companies would kill that platform - like they did with the Fiero. They were looking to up the coupe to 315 HP in the next iteration of the car. I know there was a little infighting between the Kappa crowd and Corvette geeks. Don't look for it to come back.

GM had a good idea with the Z24 Cavalier. Not everyone wants gross horsepower with their ragtop. Personally, when the roof is down, I don't want to go fast. If they could take the Cobalt and turn that into a 2 seat ragtop, that would sell.

• Founders

I would have bought a 315hp Solstice Coupe. I'm still looking for a GXP coupe :(

Not a ragtop fan but the Solstice and Sky were done right. Just I like power too, just needed a little bit more for me :)

I think GM had a good thing with the modern version of the "flip top hardtop" technology convertibles in the cars like Cadillac XLR, Chevy SSR, and G6 convertibles. To your point Pro, a convertible does not need to go fast to be fun. So a G6 would be comparable to the Cobalt in terms of fun, even though they are different platforms.

I agree that the coupe was a great direction to go in and add power. Like anything done in the automotive world, it takes time to get the right combos done. Lutz said GM needed to stop being afraid of putting fat tires and power in the cars they build. Looks like they are doing that with the corvette and z24 cars. Bout time.

The problem is only the Vette, Camaro, and V-series Caddys will get the fat tires now. The Buick GNs seem to be on hold. We seem to be afraid to sell HP these days. Emissions and mileage good, and HP bad, bad, bad !

• Founders

I wouldn't say we're afraid to sell HP these days because we definitely have more performance cars these days than 10 years ago. I think they just have to be sensible with everything with all the regulations out now, definitely not the 1960s anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

You making a compelling point Ringo. I think the challenging point that keeps the horsepower wars in check is the future emissions/CAFE mileage requirements. As the rules get more stringent, the companies are being forced to build ever more uber-"econo boxes" for every HP giant they build. In order to balance the equation, build fewer models of HP giants and build far more econo-boxes.

• Founders

:agreed:

They have to be smart about their HP, it can't be all muscle like before it has to have some brains to it. The new LT1 ain't your father's V8 ;)