Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Trust Your Gauges!!!

60DegreeVVT

Ok... so about a month ago (1000miles) i noticed that my "Glowshift" oil pressure gauge was reading low. it was about 7psi no matter what. Full throttle 7psi, crusing 2500 rpm 7psi and idle 7psi...

Logically i thought that my gauge was jacked up because i was not getting an idiot light on the dash, my oil temp was reading properly and i was hearing no noises. i watched teh gauge read less and less for a long time and with no light indicating anything i was convinced that the gauge was jacked. the engine is new! there is no idiot light...

so today i was talking with my father about oil changes because his long time friend bought a "Jiffy Lube" or "Lube Pros" or well that is not important. but i have not seen this guy(John) in about 6-8 years so i was just shooting the shiz and talking about the car, his son wants a G6, and then it happened...

THE DIPSTICK HAS NO OIL!

so we check it again... and again and again... man i stood there like an idiot. the dip stick reads the top 1.5 quarts... the engine has a total of 4 quarts... so i was FO SHO down to 2.5 or less quarts and i didnt get a light.

here is what i have deduced....

Senerio 1 : Possible...

I was shorted 1 quart when i got the oil changed 5000 miles ago (synthetic) and with normal driving and winter ideling i burned .5 quarts with normal usage (this is not un common to burn .5 quarts between oilchanges.)

Senerio 2: Not possible

I have an oil leak somewhere... (check under the car, the garage, asked the oil change guy) and they all showed NO

Senerio 3: Possible

I have a bad valve guide or intake manifold issue or PCV Valve (G D i hate PCV valves they always get stuck) the question i have is does my motor even have a PCV valve?

What do you all think?

I called my local pontiac and talked to an idiot who cant/didnt tel me anything. i asked if there was a known issue with my motor. if there was a PCV valve and if their experience shows that there is a common issue. (other than the motor is a chevy one) why is it burining so much oil (senerio 3)

Holla Back Youngin!!!!

:blink:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The first thing that I would do is to top off the oil and monitor it. There could have been an error in filling the crank case. This is why I like the Q Lube that I have been going to because they show you the crank case level before you leave.

Keep notes for about two weeks on the level in a small book.

If what I have read is correct they do not call it a PCV anymore it is called a Purge Valve. Either way I have had them fail more than I would like to admit. Also check for oil around your drain plug. Some of the newer engines have little copper/nylon/poly gaskets. Although they may not leak when cold at operating temperatures it could lead slightly. What I have done is afix a bandage around the plug and warm up the engine. If there is a leak the bandage will catch the oil.