Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

72 Lemans Convertible Top Cover Repair

After the Woodward Dream Cruise, I decided to fix the convertible top cover. I was coming up from behind the rear seat. It is held in by 6 sheet metal screws and four of them had come loose and fell out, putting a lot of strain on the two remaining and twisting the retaining bar.

Here's my problem:

100_4849_zps331f4b2a.jpg

You can also see the cover being pulled out of the metal channel.

So this means I have to remove the back of the rear seat to get to the screws that hold the top cover. In order to remove the back, I have to remove the lower back seat. So, in other words, I have to remove the entire back seat to get at it. Which is what I did.

100_4850_zps3a60773b.jpg

100_4851_zpsabcdef39.jpg

Now I've re-installed the cover into the metal retaining channel. It was easier getting it into the channel by using WD-40.

100_4852_zpsad197244.jpg

Now I have to go get some new retaining screws since the missing screws were not underneath the rear seats. Once I get them, I can put everything back together.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I wrapped up the fix last night. I got the new sheetmetal screws at lunch time. I spent some time cleaning and detailing all the side bolsters, arm rests, and parts of the seats that are covered up too. I also vacuumed the carpet, removed the semi-melted Tootsie Rolls from under the seats left over from the Memorial Day Parade.

100_4853_zps26bfd664.jpg

100_4854_zps0150c310.jpg

I can give you the name of my upholsterer here in Flint if you think you need it.

Thanks for the compliment. I got the idea for the 2-tone interior from a '54 Buick Roadmaster.

removed the semi-melted Tootsie Rolls from under the seats left over from the Memorial Day Parade.

I enjoyed this part. Simple things amuse simple minds right?

Work looks good Frosty. I wish I had gotten things done with the Phoenix. Too much time on the.tractors. I cheated on her with a Massey-Ferguson :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 4

Work looks good Frosty. I wish I had gotten things done with the Phoenix. Too much time on the.tractors. I cheated on her with a Massey-Ferguson :(

Havoc, at least the Phoenix has a back seat where you can enjoy it with a willing date. I think the back seat of a Massey-Ferguson is either a birth control device, serious BDSM, or self-abuse. Frankly, I think I know where'd I'd rather be.

The fact you are cheating on your Phoenix and admitting it in front of us Pontiac guys means you know you have a problem and you want help. You need to go on the Montel Williams show, talk about your problem, and ask for forgiveness. Jerry Springer will do if Montel is booked.

At least you didn't have to admit to cheating with a Honduh.  You can be saved.  PINK shirts are the root of all evil. :lol2:

Ima keep wearing that pink shit. JUSTA FOR YOU

Ima keep wearing that pink shit. JUSTA FOR YOU

Your wearing Pink SHIT???? Oh say it ain't soooooooo. :lol2:

Your wearing Pink SHIT????  Oh say it ain't soooooooo. :lol2:  

I tried to correct it to "shirt" but Tapatalk was being fickle with the edit button haha