Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So, I am looking at getting a 71 Pontiac LeMans Sport 400 http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3225691710.html

My question is, what are the best things to look for when buying a restored car?

Coming from the owner, it was finished being restored about a week ago and had the alignment done today. The registration still isn't completed though, which is slightly understandable since it was just finished. He stated that the car is for sale because him and his father have 5 other LeMans and they are trying to get rid of them because they can't afford having them around.

From the pictures in the ad it looks great but, they are pictures and don't show everything.

Thanks for any info given!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The link is to a 07 camry lol. My dad has a organge lemans for sale.

lol I know, wtf? It did that on my phone but works fine on my computer...

Ask for the build photos.

Here is the ad and the pics in the ad:

1971 Pontiac LeMans sport 400 freshly restored. It has a rebuilt/built 400 motor with tons of billet accessories and power. Rebuilt 400 trans/B&M shifter/ MSD ignition. All rebuilt suspension and brakes, also has front and rear drop springs, front sway bar, and power dick brakes. Long tube headers with 3" inch exhaust, Centerline wheels front:15x8 rear:15x10 with BFG's. Body is straight with absolutely no rust and has been freshly painted white( the right way, car was completely stripped for body work,paint,and restoration) . Bumpers, handles, and all the moldings were powder coated to match the paint. New interior with bucket seats and 4-point harnesses. The car is really clean and has a really aggressive look,stance,and sound. It is the best classic muscle car you will get even near this price. It is an original California LeMans sport with 400 motor and trans, a/c and heat, and power disk brake car. Have the sheet that shows the car's factory options and from Fremont,Ca. Sacrifice at 12,500 obo, call or text for more info or pics (909)630-2127

5Kc5M85Je3Ee3I73Jfc8k4f37d2d015291fcf.jpg

5L65N65M53m53F13N1c8kd3cef41ee1961c9b.jpg

5U55Hc5Ma3E13M13Nfc8k770ffcb666c4145c.jpg

5N45V05F43G13N23Hdc8ka8f56beed35e103f.jpg

5E95K15P03F83L13N4c8k613ae4a4f8cf17fc.jpg

5L25J15M83G43L73Hac8l03a99e44be9a17b4.jpg

5Kb5F45Jc3K93J23Nac8l4b43e1ff0c4d104f.jpg

5L95Eb5H73Lc3Na3Hac8l4d01bd44c0df119d.jpg

Get a picture of the VIN and check the rivets with another GM vehicle of that year. If they look the same then someone has not rebadged the car.

Get the cowl tag off of the left side firewall near the fender facing up.

Check the rear quarters for rust and bondo.

Check the rockers and the body bushing for rot.

Put your hands down the sides of the trunk behind the rear wheel wells and check for bad work. This includes duct tape, spray foam insulation and bondo.

The pictures of the floors look good but look for evidence of lap welds, seam sealer and but welds. This is void if he tells you he replaced the floors.

Look for bubbles around the front and rear windshield.

Look for rot around the frame from the rear tires back.

Is this the original motor. If so verify it with block I.D. numbers.

Custom interior sometimes means creative wiring. Check under the dash for problems.

I would be concerned about Power Dick Brakes tho

The best place to look up classics is in the classifieds section of POCI's Smoke Signals magazine, now you have to be a member to get the magazine lol, but I can guarantee you'll find a better choice of cars there.

The best place to look up classics is in the classifieds section of POCI's Smoke Signals magazine, now you have to be a member to get the magazine lol, but I can guarantee you'll find a better choice of cars there.

I agree but, I love this car! I've been looking crap online, doing research and pricing parts online. I even found a kit from Edelbrock that allows me to swap in any LS series engine! :D

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

Not a bad looking car but in person would tell you more.

Just a warning about the "kits" for an LS swap. They only cover about 60 percent of the swap and they can total up in price fast.

If you can make your own stuff and source a 6.0 litre out of a truck then it is more cost effective.

Not a bad looking car but in person would tell you more.

Just a warning about the "kits" for an LS swap. They only cover about 60 percent of the swap and they can total up in price fast.

If you can make your own stuff and source a 6.0 litre out of a truck then it is more cost effective.

I figured as much, I plan on taking a look at it for sure.

As for the kits, I was looking more into them and was noticing that they are mostly just the brackets and that a bunch of custom work is still needed.

Idk if I'd want one out of a truck though, unless it was the LS2 out of a TBSS.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.