Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Custom Lumber Rack for my F150

Just got my lumber rack installed on the truck!!! :dancingpontiac: Now just waiting on the four Hella 500FF offroad lights I ordered from Cbrenn71 to arrive ;) Going to have those welded on the front of the rack, and have basket also welded into the, sitting slightly down into it, to blend it in better. Also going to get tubes welded onto it to give me bed rails as well :woot: If you guys have any ideas on how to modify this rack any, feel free to let me know :tom:

Also, check out below the pictures, a rough idea made through Paint will give you an idea of what will be done ;)

Here is my new truck rack:

1264817794.jpg

Photo0055.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

Read below for an understanding of what I'm doing to my rack

TruckRackmodifications.jpg

The image above displays the modification to the rack. The large gray area will have a roof basket, the red bars behind the gray box are being welded to provide a place to mount my air compressor, tank, and train horns, and the bottom image of the actual truck shows where the bed rails will be welded onto the rack.

TruckRackmodifications-SideView.jpg

The image above displays the side view of the modifications to the top portion of the rack. Area 1 shows the two bars that will be welded across the rack for the compressor, tank, and train horns, which will be sunken down instead of being flush with the rack bars. Area 2 shows where the basket will be mounted, also sunken down, not touching the roof, but not sticking way out above the rack, to give it a clean look. Area 3 shows the fog lights, which will have a light bar that is also sunk down to set the fog lights in front of the rack, instead of on top of it. The picture below shows the reasoning for it:

BAD way to mount, they sit up too high

BADLIGHTMOUNTING.jpg

GREAT way to mount, they sit in front of the rack, centered and keeping the rack from seeming to stick way above the truck.

GOODLIGHTMOUNTING.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Nice Dan looks good! :agreed:

Is it just for looks or are you going to be a carpenter or something when you get out of the services of the USA?

A fiberglass sun visor over the windsheild would look nice with that IMO.

Sunvisor_II.jpg

I like the 2nd one the best.

lund_sunvisor.gif

Hmmmm, not a bad idea Jedi3, will have to look into that...

It's not finished yet, but it's called a utility rack or a lumber rack, and I'm modding it to also include a roof basket, bed rails, and off road lights. It will serve many purposes, it helps out with moving stuff for people, will help with moving my family to Texas, can be used to throw a tarp over and use the bed as a tent, and also serves as a light duty roll cage.... also considering doing cab lights too, just a thought...

Not my cup of tea....but what do I know about trucks.

IF I had something like that, Id always have someone ask to use it, or can I move this, or can you help me with this.....Itll get annoying. :agreed:

Not my cup of tea....but what do I know about trucks.

IF I had something like that, Id always have someone ask to use it, or can I move this, or can you help me with this.....Itll get annoying. :lol2:

Yeah it does, but I'm a good friend like that, and not only that, it will help my car team out as well, we can use it to transport supplies and body kits :agreed:

' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:52 AM' post='7044']

I'd charge if favors got outta hand.

"Ohi! Can u halp move stuffs 4 me?"

"50 bucks,"

"Wat? U crazy!"

"Then no truck. Kthxbai!"

:agreed: Pretty much!

i think it needs like another bar or 2 at the top, for like snowboards, skiis, surfboards, maybe ladders and blah blah blah.

Updated first post with a few extra pictures... It has another bar that goes in the middle if I need the extra support, but this rack will initially be modded as shown in the original post...

Never will I do that to my Ranger... Then again... I'm trying to get rid of it.

:P Understandable, but this is meant for multipurposes, plus will be used for extreme offroading and camping :lol2: