Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Trailblazer...returns?

[ChaosweaveR]

It's back...and diesel powered!

2zogehv.jpg

General Motors has unveiled its next-generation Chevrolet TrailBlazer at the Dubai International Motor Show. The model is set to go on sale around the world, though Thailand will have the first crack at the vehicle in early 2012.

The 2013 TrailBlazer features seating for seven, and, since the SUV is based off of the new global Chevrolet Colorado, it gets its power from a 2.8-liter Duramax turbo-diesel engine. GM stresses that the vehicle on display in the Middle East is a show vehicle, but we're guessing that the final product will look pretty similar to what you see above.

The next-generation TrailBlazer will feature second-row seats with a 60/40 split, and both the second and third rows fold flat to reveal a sizable cargo area. With most SUVs abandoning their rugged roots for the softer ways of the crossover world, the new Trailblazer sound pretty good to us. Right now, there's no word on when the vehicle will show up in the U.S. or if it will come packing the same turbo-diesel engine when it arrives.

Video in link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/10/new-che...-dubai-w-video/

Gallery:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-chevrolet-trailblazer-1/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Not bad, not bad. Not a huge fan of the styling but then again I'm not an SUV guy. Only SUVs I love is the Terrain and Torrent.

Is it me or does the back angle shot on autoblog make it look extremely tall and an extremely abnormally high center of gravity?

Other question is will we get the diesel?

Not bad, not bad. Not a huge fan of the styling but then again I'm not an SUV guy. Only SUVs I love is the Terrain and Torrent.

Is it me or does the back angle shot on autoblog make it look extremely tall and an extremely abnormally high center of gravity?

Other question is will we get the diesel?

I am willing to bet that if a diesel is offered, it won't sell well. Unlike other countries that like diesels, this country avoids them like the plague when it comes to passenger cars. Fine for trucks and haulnig bug heavy loads, its not okay in passenger vehicles. Three things work against it:

1. The problems with the Olds V8 diesels of the late 70s and early 80s are still remembered by old folks like me and our parents. So we tend to tell our kids to stay away from them.

2. Diesel gas is more expense (at least here in Michigan) by 5-15 cents a gallon that regular unleaded. So why do I want to pay more at the pump to run a diesel?

3. Diesels are perceived as "dirty" engines - aka the black soot from years past and big rigs driving down the road. While this has been solved technologically speaking for the most part, that perception still lingers. People don't seem diesels as "green" engines.

Granted diesels have some advantages over a convential gas engine. I just don't see it selling all that well. A lot of engrained bias that only marketting dollars and word of mouth will overcome with time.

All that said, I am guessing for a turbo 4-cylinder (like the Regal GS) or a 3.4L or 3.6L v6 (LS3 powered SS version anyone?). Since this is now an international platform, I am sure it was designed to accomodate most of GM's modern power plants.

I am willing to bet that if a diesel is offered, it won't sell well. Unlike other countries that like diesels, this country avoids them like the plague when it comes to passenger cars. Fine for trucks and haulnig bug heavy loads, its not okay in passenger vehicles. Three things work against it:

1. The problems with the Olds V8 diesels of the late 70s and early 80s are still remembered by old folks like me and our parents. So we tend to tell our kids to stay away from them.

2. Diesel gas is more expense (at least here in Michigan) by 5-15 cents a gallon that regular unleaded. So why do I want to pay more at the pump to run a diesel?

3. Diesels are perceived as "dirty" engines - aka the black soot from years past and big rigs driving down the road. While this has been solved technologically speaking for the most part, that perception still lingers. People don't seem diesels as "green" engines.

Granted diesels have some advantages over a convential gas engine. I just don't see it selling all that well. A lot of engrained bias that only marketting dollars and word of mouth will overcome with time.

All that said, I am guessing for a turbo 4-cylinder (like the Regal GS) or a 3.4L or 3.6L v6 (LS3 powered SS version anyone?). Since this is now an international platform, I am sure it was designed to accomodate most of GM's modern power plants.

Maybe so, but if you see what BMW is doing advertising wise, they have the right idea. GM should take notes, if the German cars are selling well with diesel power in the US...why not GM?

Diesel > Gas

Diesel is ten cents more than premium where I am, so gas costs aren't an issue.

• Founders
' date='Nov 10 2011, 05:12 PM' post='61686']

Yes, that's why you see Jetta and Golf TDI models getting +40mpgs. Plus, they're torquey...and boooooooost!

They have more Torque (why used in trucks) but not always fast. Also A LOT of euro turbo diesels have horrible turbo lag from what I've seen. It's a trade off as in anything

Newer models don't. I've driven MKIV and MKV TDI models with five and six speed manuals, and turbo lag is minimal. And from what I've seen performance-wise, they can be quite quick, and still be great on gas!

Look up the Jetta TDI Cup series. Race prepped Jetta TDI cars, and while going flat out...they still get 28-30mpgs!

What was the problem with the olds diesel?

Pro - back in the late 70s and early 80s, GM took the Olds 350 V8 and redesigned it to make it into a diesel. The engine had three main issues. The first was the use of torque to yeild bolts which resulted in inadequate clamping. So this lead to excessive pressure under severe stress, which causes overheating, blown head gaskets, and broken bolts. The second was the Stanadyne injection pump is driven with the use of a short stubby shaft with a built in helical gear - which meshed with a gear on the front section of the camshaft. With high mileage, the timing chains tended to stretch a little (like any other timing chain) and the injection pump timing could become less than perfect.

The third problem was water in the fuel related. GM never used a water-fuel separator fuel filter with these engines. Back then people tended to use 'drygas' in these cars out of habit to help get rid of the water in the fuel tanks. You can't do that with a diesel as the alcohol in the drygas would promote rust in the fuel system and the rust could damage the Stanadyne injection pump.

So all these issues created the image in the US that diesels are crappy, poor quality, unreliable, and expensive to fix. Black soot that diesels produced in those days was something people were not use to in thier personal cars either. GM put these engines in Chevys, Buicks, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, and Cadillacs. Checker even put some in their Marathon cabs too. These engines were produced from '78 to '85. So this severely damaged the reputation for diesels in passenger cars in this country. Foreign companies have had some success getting turbo diesels like the Jetta and Golf. US companies have shied away from them.

Now add the price difference between regular unleaded vs premiuim unleaded vs diesel. When diesel was 5-10 cents cheaper a gallon than unleaded, there was some appeal. With it more expensive that regular and almost as much for premiuim, there is a lot less appeal too.

So for all these reasons, diesels have an uphill battle over coming a perception of bad quality in a passenger car.

Looks great to me and I like the frontend, even thou in so not an large or small suv guy.

GM has said they have been working on a new platform for the aging Escalade so you COULD see this in the US in Caddy form. :lol:

Looks great to me and I like the frontend, even thou in so not an large or small suv guy.

GM has said they have been working on a new platform for the aging Escalade so you COULD see this in the US in Caddy form. :lol:

What? No more Cadillac Avalanches, Tahoes, and Suburbans....say it ain't so Joe! :lol:

The one thing I've not read about the Trailblazer yet is if it FWD or RWD. I know the new Colorado/Canyon will be RWD, so it makes sense that this is probably RWD too since it is suppose to be the same platform. I just have not seen it in spelled out in any article yet.

I might consider buying it though. I owned 3 GMC S-15 Jimmys and one S10 Blazer between '89 and '08. The Blazer was purchased in 2003. I traded my dad the Blazer for his 04 Avalanche.

Looks good to me. I've been noticing a lot more people going for the VW, Audi, Mercedes and BMW Diesels (since being on Euro forums) and They are getting popular, I think the times are finally changing that people are realizing that diesels aren't THAT bad.