Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

31pontiac's 1959 Bonneville

2022 November
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Looking for a Firebird

Ringo64

• Founders

Well long story short I've been spoiled with the automatic in my G6 and have slightly forgotten how to drive a manual, embarrassing however that it may be I'm looking to change that since I'm considering nothing other than the 6 spd manual for my '12 Camaro I'm gonna buy.

With that said I'm looking for preferably a Pontiac Firebird or Chevy Camaro with a V8 (LT1 or LS1 but earlier years are welcomed too) but obviously needs to be a manual gearbox since I want to re-learn manual. Last time I drove a manual was 3 years ago so needless to say this will be good well needed practice since I don't want to blow a clutch in my new Camaro I figured spending $2-3k on a beater/re-learner won't be bad if all goes to hell.

Like I said I'm only looking to spend about $2-3k tops so if you know someone in the SWFL area with one of these vehicles please let me know :lol:

I know it will be like riding a bike you never forget but this might be a fun journey as well so I figured I'd look. If nothing turns up I'm sure I'll do fine but it's just I'd figure I'd look for a good deal.

You forgot how! :lol::rofl::rofl:

Jimmy its like riding a bike man you never forget! you just may not be that great at it but as soon as you take one drive youll be fine. ;)

Forgot :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I forgot to take the trash out last night. :lol:

• Founders

Thanks Josie! :rofl:

Yeah it's probably me being paranoid more than me forgetting because the '12 Camaro will be a garage queen and babied, never seeing adverse weather, etc... Plans for this was not to buy some POS but if I do find a nice Firebird/Camaro for $2-3k I'd pick it up for 2-4 months and work the rust off of myself w/ manual plus of course have some fun with a V8 :rofl:

If I can't find something even worth the 2-4 months of use than I won't pick something up because I do have confidence in myself but could just be paranoid because the '12 Camaro will be a $40k car :lol: The most expensive car (obviously) that I've purchased in my life.

If it keeps going the way I've been finding stuff is I won't be getting one because either they're in excellent shape but they're a V6 or Auto, or they're not even worth my time.

I know it will be like riding a bike you never forget but this might be a fun journey as well so I figured I'd look. If nothing turns up I'm sure I'll do fine but it's just I'd figure I'd look for a good deal.

As of now that ^^ is the quote that I'm living this purchase by :rofl:

Well also the fact every manual is a little different with how the clutch feels, where it releases, the gear pattern, learning how to be as smooth as possible. I am sure you will do fine, driving a new 6spd camaro is a piece of cake. They pretty much drive themselves with all the power they have. They are pretty fun to drive but there alot differnt then the f-bodies except you still cant see out of them lol.

I agree modern 6 speed cars with alot of power are easy to drive. On another note 1st gear in the Sky red lines hated me. I just dont know why they liked stalling on me. lol

The only manual that I have stalled in awhile was a f-450 stake body that was parked on a hill. You always have to like floor them to get them moving but they also take off like a bat out of hell if your not carefull.

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.