Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

2004 Pontiac GTO

I've been in the market for a new car lately, and haven't really found anything that stood out to me. Until I test drove an 04 GTO. The car was amazing. It was the first car that I got into that just felt right. Like the car just fit me perfectly. The thing that caught my eye was the Cosmos Purple paint. It was beautiful.

So, I would like some info about the car. Like if there are any major problems, etc. and if they make a good daily driver.

Here's one that I'm fairly interested in:

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/2556338154.html

And one final question. This might be a dumb question, but how do you think it would fair on snow? With studded tires.

Thanks!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Only issue with the '04 is it has an LS1 and not an LS2 :rofl: but nothing mechanically wrong with it, just less power than an LS2 lol.

I can't remember if it's '05 and up or if it effects the '04s as well but the fuel rail covers have been known to rub on the fuel lines and burst them open thus causing your Goat to catch fire. Easy fix though, either take them off or buy aftermarket upgraded braided fuel lines that cost like $30ish? so not bad if the '04s are effected by this.

Erik (Crimson) can help you with a lot of questions, he has an '04 and daily drives it.

I'm probably not one to comment on the snow thing, living in Florida, but a lot of Goat owners do daily drive them in the snow but then a lot of them also have bought beaters for winter.

whats the night and day between LS1 and 2? 50 hp? lol.

GTO fairing in the snow is like shit. i have gotten stuck on a plowed road (mind you this was with high performance all weather tires but still) 350 hp on the snow is just a bad combo. BUT

As a daily driver the car is fantastic. I have an 04 and thus far (fingers crossed) have had zero issues. Change the oil when you are supposed to and do routine maint and the car will treat you great.

The LS1 and 2 were both victims of the whole FRC problem so just remove the dumb plastic engine covers when you get it and inspect the fuel line for any rubbing that may have occurred prior to your ownership.

All in all my GTO is my love and I don't regret buying it one single bit. If you have any specific questions dont hesistate to PM me.

Cosmos are rare and getting more rare. I have a buddy that put one in a wall in the rain.

That's got something from every year on it. 04 hood, 05 valence and 06 tails.

If you look hard enough, you can find an 05+ for the same price.

Cosmos are rare and getting more rare. I have a buddy that put one in a wall in the rain.

That's got something from every year on it. 04 hood, 05 valence and 06 tails.

If you look hard enough, you can find an 05+ for the same price.

very very very very hard to do. that is unless it has an assload of miles on it.

• Founders

very very very very hard to do. that is unless it has an assload of miles on it.

I can't look at the price (cause I'm on my break at work and it's blocked) but '05s are going for $16k around here or less, mileage aren't ridiculous either. It is just a matter of finding a deal, if you don't look, you won't find it.

Back almost a year ago when I was set on buying a Goat, before I decided to save for a long time to buy a new Camaro, I was finding good deals all over. Now though there are a bit less but there are some good ones to be found.

I'm probably not one to comment on the snow thing, living in Florida, but a lot of Goat owners do daily drive them in the snow but then a lot of them also have bought beaters for winter.

I was thinking about getting a beater in the coming months before winter. But you never know what the next day weather is gonna be in Montana. It snowed in July a few years back. Last winter lasted in extra 3 months. But the year before, it was pretty much dry. I'll just have to wait till winter hits.

' date='Aug 21 2011, 04:24 PM' post='58480']

Never seen one that color, has the newer rear vailence, 06 tails...seems stock otherwise...

It's called Cosmos Purple. Only available in 04, and they only made 700 with the purple. 377 are manual, and the other 323 are auto. The one I test drove was Purple, and I fell in love with the color.

whats the night and day between LS1 and 2? 50 hp? lol.

Don't really care that the LS2 has more hp. The one I drove had plenty of power. I can also find an 04 cheaper than an 05/06, and I can get it with that purple.

I woulnt want to try and drive it in the winter but GTO's are awesome cars to drive In general though. They get ok gas mileage, they have tons of power, they handle pretty well, and you get the awesome sounding V8. Plus you will have a rare color, to make your car stand out.

• 2 weeks later...