Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Subwoofer advice

I am looking at adding a sub for my car in the summer. I do not want anything huge but just a nice clean sound. Most of the music I listen to is similar to Rob Zombie, Ministry, Kazzer, Metallica or Ozzy. I am looking something that is not going to take up the entire back of the car but just give a nice sound. I may try and build my first sub box this year.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I am looking at adding a sub for my car in the summer. I do not want anything huge but just a nice clean sound. Most of the music I listen to is similar to Rob Zombie, Ministry, Kazzer, Metallica or Ozzy. I am looking something that is not going to take up the entire back of the car but just give a nice sound. I may try and build my first sub box this year.

honestly, the pioneers that i have are from walmart and don't sound that bad. i wish i had a deeper box bcuz the magnet almost touches the bottom of the box but they dont sound that bad with the setup i have. if you get the right box, which i believe is 1cu sq ft enclosed, the sub will give you a clean sound. you will only need like a 300w amp and you have what you are looking for. dont get any cheap amp though bcuz the amp also determines the sound quality as well. hope this helps a bit.

oh... also, i have my subs pointing upward for a reason. the sound reflects off of the glass causing a nice crisp bass sound coming to the front. just another thing i wanted to add. :(

Yours are 12" right? Would there be any benefit to going to a single 10" I was thinking of tucking it into the area on the right side close to where the factory one should be.

Have you looked into the pre-amped woofers? I know those sound pretty, and dont take up a ton of room. Bazooka tubes, or i know kenwood makes a woofer that is about the size of an amp that you can mount to the back of a seat. Check out Cruchfield.com they have a ton of stuff there, do research there and then see if you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

I would probably stay away from walmart. Their electronics are so cheap, because the materials used are cheaper alternatives compared to normal retail store. I would suggest going through bestbuy and taking advantage of their 2 year protection plan. at anytime you can walk in and exchange it for a new one for any reason, no questions asked. You can also do it an unlimited amount of times within that 2 year period. Since you arent looking for anything too extravagant I would recommend the following:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+12%26...p;skuId=7057383

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+12%2...p;skuId=8773053

I like the Pioneer shallow mount. I could probably build a box that will tuck in near my right rear wheelwell. Another question I had: Is there any benefit to a ported box over a none ported box?

I have this set you nothing to crazy and it seems to work well with the stock 8speaker Monsoon system Eclipse 33230 2x amplifier, Alpine type s sws-1222D 12" 300w rms and box.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images...80041_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images...80042_large.jpg

Yours are 12" right? Would there be any benefit to going to a single 10" I was thinking of tucking it into the area on the right side close to where the factory one should be.

actually, mine are 10's.

pre-amped is also good too but if you want to get creative, better off going with seperate.

I like the Pioneer shallow mount. I could probably build a box that will tuck in near my right rear wheelwell. Another question I had: Is there any benefit to a ported box over a none ported box?

i was thinking about doing that too but didn't want to cut the rear panels unless i wanted to fiberglass it. if i were to do that, i'd just go to a pro cuz i can't fiberglass for crap. lol

If you are going to go shallow go with the pioneers! as for ported over sealed. If you listen to rock you want a sealed box, it is tighter and cleaner. Also if you have a shallow mount woofer having a sealed box would completely defeat the purpose. Only reason to buy a shallow mount sub is because you have little to no space. a vented box will be louder but take up a lot more space.

As for a single 10" depending on what you buy you will be more then happy with a single 10". Jim (ringo) has a deal on a great sub right now that would probably work for you.

I am running 2 10's on running a 250/500 amp and i usually have it turned down about 40% and it sounds real nice.

Keith

If you are going to go shallow go with the pioneers! as for ported over sealed. If you listen to rock you want a sealed box, it is tighter and cleaner. Also if you have a shallow mount woofer having a sealed box would completely defeat the purpose. Only reason to buy a shallow mount sub is because you have little to no space. a vented box will be louder but take up a lot more space.

As for a single 10" depending on what you buy you will be more then happy with a single 10". Jim (ringo) has a deal on a great sub right now that would probably work for you.

I am running 2 10's on running a 250/500 amp and i usually have it turned down about 40% and it sounds real nice.

Keith

i love this info. makes me want those damn shallow subs even more. :woot:

I need to correct a typo I made.....

If you have a shallow mount woofer a VENTED box would defeat the purpose. If you go with a shallow mount woofer you want a sealed enclosure.

Keith

oh nice! even more of a reason to buy them. im so convincing the wife to let me sell my pioneers and get the shallows. i already have a sealed box. :lol2:

You know, since you already have the box, see if you can get an audio shop to let you hook one up in your car, or get them from Best Buy, that way if you don't like them, you can return them and still have your other subs :)