Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

markpetersonii's 01 Ranger XLT 3.0

ooh. by when do you need parts? what year do you want? and check the Pick-N-Pulls, im sure they have some. i think i saw a few up here.

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh. by when do you need parts? what year do you want? and check the Pick-N-Pulls, im sure they have some. i think i saw a few up here.

Well, I'm not looking for one ASAP, but if I come across one at a good price, I'll probably grab it.

Anyway, UPDATE!

The upper intake manifold bolts I need have been discontinued and so now I am in a tough spot... How do I get new bolts for my engine if they don't make them anymore? I've checked junk yards and I'm coming up with either old bolts or the new ones, none matching the ones I need. RockAuto doesn't have them... I don't want to but a whole new intake manifold just for some bolts either. Ugh. :picard:

Well, on a plus side, I got my new tires on now.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Bolts finally came in after I had to make a custom order on McMaster and Carr. Got the bolts in and they were a little too long, so I just put a bunch of washers on there. :angry:

IMG_0705.jpg

Added the oil back in and the coolant back up.

So I decided to se if I could get it to start, connected the batt charger and all the lights and everything came on and turned the key to hear clicking... :o So, I let it charge a bit and come out to try it again. Same thing, clicking. Charger says the batt is fine, going to need a new starter. SO, I just ordered a new one of those.

I'm at least learning a ton about this engine. Coming in the next few days is my new starter and hopefully everything will be running like new again.

Also, on weird thing that was happening when I was trying to start the truck, when the key was in and turned, right before the start, the speedo was at like 60-70 and the trip and odo were going up, even though the truck wasn't moving. WTF was that about? Anyone know? I have a vid of it happening...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkXeCgKgek

The tires look great. Can you please put some black primer on that fender. It just sticks out and my ocd or whatever you call it is going crazy. lol

• Founders

lol about the long bolts, guess using a ton of washers is better than having a lawn ordainment :o

About Speed-o issue, I'd say you have a short somewhere and its sending a bad shot to the speed-o. I know its not much help but its definitely something electronical :angry: I'd pull it out and check the wires and the fuses.

The tires look great. Can you please put some black primer on that fender. It just sticks out and my ocd or whatever you call it is going crazy. lol

lmao, the fenders will get painted when the truck is running. I'm not going to waste paint on something that isn't moving.

lol about the long bolts, guess using a ton of washers is better than having a lawn ordainment :o

About Speed-o issue, I'd say you have a short somewhere and its sending a bad shot to the speed-o. I know its not much help but its definitely something electronical :angry: I'd pull it out and check the wires and the fuses.

Thanks, I've posted around on a couple Ranger forums and they said that is a bad ground somewhere. They said to start with the batter and follow all the wires going from there. I'll be doing that today, hopefully it works. :angry:

lol about the long bolts, guess using a ton of washers is better than having a lawn ordainment :lol2:

About Speed-o issue, I'd say you have a short somewhere and its sending a bad shot to the speed-o. I know its not much help but its definitely something electronical :lol2: I'd pull it out and check the wires and the fuses.

Electronical. :lol2:

My GP suffered similar issues with its cluster, they're a common occurrence with older w-bodies. Ultimately my cluster was rebuilt and it's worked fine since.

Electronical. :lol2:

My GP suffered similar issues with its cluster, they're a common occurrence with older w-bodies. Ultimately my cluster was rebuilt and it's worked fine since.

huh, good to know. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

The common fix is to check the connections on the back of the cluster, and resolder any if needed. That works for these, maybe yours too if that's the issue.

I got it up and running!!! :lol2: Then when I took it out of Park it died...

I actually got it to stay up and running enough for me to take it around the block a bit. As soon as the RPMs hit like 500 it starts sputtering and wanting to shut off until I rev it to keep it running. I also did notice the voltage, after charging for a few hours was at about half but, after I got back it was down to almost "L."

Is this a possible battery or alternator issue?

Cool ! Could be the alternator yes, or a related connection. Gotta make sure the battery is healthy first though, see if it holds a charge when you use a charger. :lol2:

haha thanks!

I have a couple guys coming out, from a Desert Pre-runner/Race truck forum I'm on, to take a look at it to see what it could possibly be. Hopefully its something simple like needing new gas lol.

• Founders

:willy_nilly: and :blink: about taking it out of park.

I'd run a test on the alternator before ruling its the battery, with your luck Mark it could be both :lol2:

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Well... Guess what? I had the truck back! Haha

Technically, it never really left. I sold it to my little brother but, he deployed to Afghanistan before registering it so its been in my name the entire time. Yeah, awesome, I know...

Also, as he was driving it broke 2 pistons. So he had it towed to a Ford dealership that quoted him $4000 to replace the engine in the truck. He called me and I laughed and told him the truck itself isn't even worth that. So he had them hold the truck for him until he came back.

Well, he came back on the 13th and now tomorrow (Thursday) he will be getting back to me about what he wants to do with the truck. If he's going to register it and sell it or let me keep it (which I kind of want).

I have a guy lined up with a 3.0 replacement that I can have a buddy throw in for about $600 total for the engine and the work, saving tons of money and time.

I'm going to convince my bro to get it towed to my buddies house though because I'm not about to pay for that 45 minute tow. We'll see what happens. ;)

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

• Founders

Ouch! Does your bro not want it anymore or do you just want it back more that you didn't tell him your buddy could get a new engine in lol.

Good luck with it either way.

How was your bros deployment?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ouch! Does your bro not want it anymore or do you just want it back more that you didn't tell him your buddy could get a new engine in lol.

Actually, talking to him today, we are actually trading vehicles. He's giving me the truck back and he's getting the Benz. Everything is going to come out awesomely actually lol. I'll have $400 less to be paying on the Benz and I'll have a truck that's paid off. :D

His deployment was good, he's happy to be back though. They lost a few Marines out there though but, that's the way things go when you're in combat.

Actually, talking to him today, we are actually trading vehicles. He's giving me the truck back and he's getting the Benz. Everything is going to come out awesomely actually lol. I'll have $400 less to be paying on the Benz and I'll have a truck that's paid off. :D

His deployment was good, he's happy to be back though. They lost a few Marines out there though but, that's the way things go when you're in combat.