Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

More noob advice

Yea here I go again...

1) I have an Ipod

2) I can't play it in my current car

3) I want to play it in my current car

That enough info? :lol2:

I only want a deck, no new speakers or subwoofers or amps or anything like that. My cousin has a full system in his Escape but when listening to his Ipod he can't choose a song, just shuffle through them. His screen on the ipod goes black when plugged in. My old Expo had a cassette player in it and I could get a cassette-ipod player adapter and I could use the ipod to choose the song. I think its because his system uses a USB port? I don't want that, I want the other plug in thing. Like headphone style. Can anyone tell me what type of deck that would be so I don't sound like a complete moron when I go to pick out a deck at the local shop. God I'm technologically challenged... :lol2:;)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Alpine makes a nice stereo that plays the Ipod through the stereo controls. I have two and they have worked flawlessly for three years minimum. You can choose individual songs and set it up for playlists or pick individual artists. The only thing is read the instruction as I did not and I am still learning the damn thing.

No, no touch screen. If I could get just the little port thing installed under my radio it be great, but I highly doubt they sell just those. I don't need anything fancy that changes colors or I can adjust bass or anything else like that, I just want to listen to my Ipod. Being really cheap would also be a plus. Now that I think about it I should just find a good used one on craigslist. As you can tell I don't know anything about this stuff. Does anyone know the technical term for the type of port I'm talking about? On the end of headphones they have that prong that you plug into a computer, not USB. If my car had a cassette player I could just use the tape I got and a cord comes off the tape, out of the player and I plug it into my Ipod. I'm basically using my speakers in the car as headphones. Sorry for my lack of intelligence. :blink::lol2:

My cousin knows a lot more about sound systems then me and he said JVC was good. He also says Alpine are good too. Some guy wants to sell me a 160w Alpine deck for 50 bux. He says it's like new. He sent me this pic:

?action=view&current=1216102328a.jpg

Should I buy it? Again, I don't know anything about this stuff.

Don't know if that pic worked so heres the URL.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd511/...1216102328a.jpg

• Founders

Getting a deck would be the best quality route, if you wanted to go really cheap you could get an FM transmitter but the quality really isn't the same and it's a hassle to keep finding a station thats clear.

There are also adapters you can plug into the back of the radio that will do the trick, dunno how far back they go for vehicles though...

I got a fm transmitter, its not good. If anyone has seen a Grand Prix radio, its almost the whole console. I think they just make a little storage area under the new deck. Well at least now my parents have something to get me for christmas. Thanks for the help. I'm just going to get a deck.

• Founders

lol believe me installing my updated '08 radio (or any replacement radio) for the G6 you have to take out basically the whole dash. It's a pain but its not bad, 30 min job tops if you know what you're doing lol.

Woah, hang on a sec. I don't know what I'm doing. All I can do is check my oil and change tires. Good thing at Installations Unlimited when you buy a deck they do a free install. That's what my cousin did, bought door speakers, tweeters, amp, sub and all the wiring from somewhere and he bought a deck from IU and they installed the whole system for free. A car is better when built, not bought, but if you don't know anything about cars or electronics, leave it to people who know what they are doing. :blink:

• Founders

Free isn't bad but I mean with a diagram of how your deck comes out or instructions from someone whose done it on your car, it's a breeze. All you need to know is where the bolts are and where the pressure clips are and nothing more.

Just gunna throw this in with what you said. Yea, best way to learn is by actually doing the work. My friend and I want to enter a demo derby in the summer and with a demo derby car, I'll be able to learn how to weld and learn some electrical too. No, not a redneck, just want to have fun. I got a lot of hate from another forum for wanting to do that. Back on topic, getting a new deck. But my radio doesn't come in clear. By getting a new deck will that fix the problem or is it something with the antennae? You'd think by getting a GTP Special Edition they might give me the premium sound...

• Founders

Long as you have fun and learn how to do stuff right, who cares if it's labeled "redneck" or what others think. Now if you learn "redneck" cheap welding and wiring then yes there is something wrong lol.

lol is your antenna screwed in correctly. It could be the deck and have a bad connection to your speakers as well. Is just the radio bad or the cd too?

I have an Apline CDA-9885 head unit. I plug my iPod right into it, it plugs into the bottom of the iPod (where you would plug it into the computer if you were updating it) and I can control every feature of my iPod from the head unit. I love it. My faceplate comes off too which is super convenient.

^^That's exactly what I want, control of my ipod from my ipod. So is there a USB jack on the face of the head unit? How much did it cost you? And did it affect your radio output quality at all? Gracias amigo/amiga.

My two alpines are the 9884 and the 9886 and having the ipod plugged in has not affected the radio quality. There is no usb on the front of the unit but it is connected through the back of the head unit. My Ipod is in the glove box.

My two alpines are the 9884 and the 9886 and having the ipod plugged in has not affected the radio quality. There is no usb on the front of the unit but it is connected through the back of the head unit. My Ipod is in the glove box.

We have basically the same set up, my head unit falls right in between the two you have.

I think my sound quality is perfect. Sounds just like with headphones or on the computer. I have that hu paired with two Alpine type R 10" subs and it's beautiful. Simple. Sounds like surround sound.

Well I've done some experimenting with radios, ANd let me say a site you want to know is www.onlinecarstereo.com. find yourself a cheap Jensen or JVC and you'll be set most like for less than $150, if you're interested I have a radio mount and wiring harness I could sell you for cheap if you're interested I'll post it in the for sale section for you :-)

Just an update to members who are following this thread: My parents switched from Verizon Fios to Time Warner Cable. Since my dad signed up in Best Buy, we got a $150 store credit for Best Buy and my dad said I can buy my deck with the credit. A bonus is if I buy a deck from Best Buy, they'll install it for free. I won't get some cheap brand, I want to get a JVC or Alpine, but not a crazy techie model because all I want to do is listen to my music for the 15 minutes it takes me to get to class. So as long as I can plug my Ipod into the deck and I can listen to music, I don't care if I use $10 or all $150. I'm also extremely cheap. I was about to just put my Ihome on the passenger seat next to me. :bacon: