Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I'm looking for some resources

I am trying to find out what things are. there's a plug that is under my dash that I don't know what it is, also I have a plug that is yellow in my engine behind the generator that doesn't have a place, not sure where it plugs in to. My thought was the AC thing in my intake by the filter

IMG_20210925_165700515.jpg

IMG_20210925_165734721.jpg

IMG_20210925_165749088.jpg

IMG_20210925_165827335.jpg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

max,

start with the basics, google the wiring diagram for your car, it will show all the color codes for all the wires, even that spare one behind your alternator ( its not a generator) being 1973 your alternator may be a 3 wire version delco remy, but tell me is the battery/ charge  light staying on once the engine is running ?

i can see that you have a 2 wire plug in the top of the alternator, thats perfect:cheers:

on the back of the alternator, what i cant see but you can , will be a heavy wire that is under a nut and that's your main power feed from the alternator back to the battery, most likely this wire will be red in colour.

the plug under the dash..... have a look at everything under the dash, anything missing wires? whats not working

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

I would but I'm not able to find one. At least a free one. as I'm not paying almost $20 for a pdf

3 hours ago, Maxwell said:

I would but I'm not able to find one. At least a free one. as I'm not paying almost $20 for a pdf

max, i would recommend you spend the money and get your self a service manual like one of these... in the long run it will be worth it! even justA for the wiring diagrams!

https://www.ebay.com/b/Repair-Manuals-Literature-for-1974-for-Pontiac-Grand-Prix/36085/bn_7066289010

12 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

max,

start with the basics, google the wiring diagram for your car, it will show all the color codes for all the wires, even that spare one behind your alternator ( its not a generator) being 1973 your alternator may be a 3 wire version delco remy, but tell me is the battery/ charge  light staying on once the engine is running ?

i can see that you have a 2 wire plug in the top of the alternator, thats perfect:cheers:

on the back of the alternator, what i cant see but you can , will be a heavy wire that is under a nut and that's your main power feed from the alternator back to the battery, most likely this wire will be red in colour.

the plug under the dash..... have a look at everything under the dash, anything missing wires? whats not working

Agree with 64 Kiwi boni.  Can't add anything to the alt.   Only thing I can think of that close to the fuse box with a plug would be the turnsignal "clicker"  for lack of a better word.  Does your turnsig's work properly?

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

max, i would recommend you spend the money and get your self a service manual like one of these... in the long run it will be worth it! even justA for the wiring diagrams!

https://www.ebay.com/b/Repair-Manuals-Literature-for-1974-for-Pontiac-Grand-Prix/36085/bn_7066289010

Sometimes a bit of money for knowledge is priceless in the long run.  You will use this alot.   The mess of wires/corrosion on the frame appears to be your voltage regulator.  That is usually on the firewall or wheel well.

• Like 1

my turn signals don't work, but my hazards do, they flash and the flasher goes off. but my blinkers don't do anything, but I did find another flasher relay behind the dash 

10 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Agree with 64 Kiwi boni.  Can't add anything to the alt.   Only thing I can think of that close to the fuse box with a plug would be the turnsignal "clicker"  for lack of a better word.  Does your turnsig's work properly?

Sometimes a bit of money for knowledge is priceless in the long run.  You will use this alot.   The mess of wires/corrosion on the frame appears to be your voltage regulator.  That is usually on the firewall or wheel well.

Small plug behind alt looks like the wire for the temp light sensor in the intake.  You may have a temp gauge.  In that case it's not used and isn't hurting anything. 

Can you circle the plug in question by the alternator? to me it looks like the high speed blower plug which has a 20/30 amp fuse inside is not plugged together. but i have been wrong in the past. just ask my wife LOL

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any money to get a manual or diagram. what is the ignition power signal to the radio? like what color wire.

https://fusewiring.blogspot.com/2020/01/pontiac-bonneville-wiring-diagram.html

Check out this link.  Very little that's free on the 73. Good luck this might help. OR check this out.

https://www.schematicsunlimited.com/p/pontiac-vehicles

Edited by JUSTA6