Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1960 389 all things considered

I found a 1960 389 to build for my 57 pontiac....needed the 59-60 389 because i wanted to use the current 4 speed hydromatic in my car.........it was missing the heads and badly needing a rebuild

I have never built a pontiac motor before,the 347 runs good....but honestly not good enough,and id like a bit more power +347`s are very expensive to rebuild

I found a very nice set of #15 68 pontiac heads......they are at the machine shop being rebuilt

an NOS edelbrock p4b intake (with 2inch riser) and new 650 edelbrock AVS2 carb

a Nos 068 pontiac cam and lifters (a freind had this and gave it to me),and set of 1.5 roller rockers

HEI distributer

Stock bore 400 Badger pistons/rings   (.060 basically for the 389)

running a PCV system rather than the crappy road draft tube

Im not looking for anything radical....just a good running strong motor hopefully making 300 hp?

What ya all think?

20200910_134035.jpg

cant figure out how to flip my pic!!!!!

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'm currently rebuilding my own 389. Check out my 'Fitzy's GP is back!' thread for hours of viewing pleasure. I'm also going with the 068 cam & headers, otherwise it'll be stock.

• Like 1

Alan - You have a good combination of parts. Make sure you get a radiator that works with your newer 389. The '57 347 Pontiac was a reverse flow design. So I would not recommend re-using the stock radiator with the newer 389.

• Like 2

That's a good start. Good luck with that. Obviously keep an eye on your water temperature but I think you know that. Let's us know if you have any other questions.

You didn't mention what carb you are going to run or if you are going to fuel inject it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You can use an oil pan from virtually any Pontiac V8 from 1960 - 1979 from a 326 to a 455. They will all fit. New or used. Externally speaking a 326 to a 455 were all the same size so all oil pans will bolt up. So you can buy a new one from Amazon, your favorite parts catalog, or find a decent used one off Craigslist or your local junkyard. Just avoid the 301 - 265 Pontiac V8s. or any pre-1959 Pontiac V8s - just to keep your search fairly simple.

Edited by Frosty

i have tried a 1957,1965, 1968 and a 1973....none of them will work....they either hit the small windage tray in the back by the oil pump.....or they hit the front  crank main cap bolts....or both.....soooooooo no not just any oil pan will work

image.thumb.png.4fb6c493af6f3bef8b4e78f82fba6be9.png

image.thumb.png.da81625dd9ad124fab18071c40992898.png

the above pan appers to be what i need???? no sheetmetal spot welded inside the pan,for a baffel, and notice the dimples in the front for the main cap bolts

Just for my own curiosity... Does the engine still use bolts for the main caps..?? Or have they been Upgraded/changed over to studs..?? Or maybe billet Main caps...?? During the rebuild...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Was just wondering because I think maybe Through some of those (mid 50s early 60s) years Pontiac engines were used in certain GMC trucks... Was thinking possibly that there might be some subtle differences between the engine blocks/ pans used on the car engines and the Pontiac engine blocks/pans used on the truck engines..Might be something to consider/Look into....When it comes to oil pan fitment...

Is it possible that your engine was originally from a GMC  truck...Instead of a car....

Frosty might be the person who would know if there are any differences If any between the Pontiac truck and car engines..

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Two Lane - Pontiac engines were used in GMC pickups from 1956 to 1959. A 389 was not an option in a GMC . The 336/347 was the biggest motor you could get in a pickup.

klacker - I’m rather surprised by your problem. Do you already have a separate windage tray or crank scrapper that is causing this interference?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, klacker406 said:

i have tried a 1957,1965, 1968 and a 1973....none of them will work....they either hit the small windage tray in the back by the oil pump.....or they hit the front  crank main cap bolts....or both.....soooooooo no not just any oil pan will work

image.thumb.png.4fb6c493af6f3bef8b4e78f82fba6be9.png

image.thumb.png.da81625dd9ad124fab18071c40992898.png

alan this picture looks justA like my 64 sump ! and thats a 389 no baffles

• Like 1

An ingenious solution - well done. I wish I could weld like that. I can glue metal together, but it's a long way from that level of workmanship. I really appreciate it when someone is forced to find a solution in the face of adversity - something anyone doing up an old car is all too familiar with.

• Like 2

THANKS GUYS !!!  The carved up pan? i was going to pitch....but then discovered its really very nice to use for "clearancing" the oil pump pickup !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1