Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1968 GTO wiring goof up

Hi yes i am restoring a 1968 GTO. i was working on wiring under the dash and blew a few fuses (dummy). now i have a constant GEN light, i have replaced the Generator, voltage regulator and the ignition switch. my problem just got worse now i have a constant dome light on and am blowing heater fuse on start up  i have checked gen wiring so Im back under the dash. help needed ! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

5 hours ago, mikie said:

Hi yes i am restoring a 1968 GTO. i was working on wiring under the dash and blew a few fuses (dummy). now i have a constant GEN light, i have replaced the Generator, voltage regulator and the ignition switch. my problem just got worse now i have a constant dome light on and am blowing heater fuse on start up  i have checked gen wiring so Im back under the dash. help needed ! 

terry , sounds like you have multiple  issues, you are going to have to deal with each one.

gen light.... is it on when you turn the key to ignition on? does it stay on when the engine is running? i would think your 68 has a alternator.

my first thought is the regulator is faulty ..... do a test to ensure the alternator is charging ... with the engine running you should be getting anything from 12 to 15 volts at the battery. best test this with a muti tester 

dome light... you have earth switches at your doors one may be earthing all the time or the head light switch is turned to dome light on position, check that is not the issue first.

blower heater.. pull the plug on the fan motor and test the continuity  of the motor, and test for a earth from motor to chassis. also while the plug is pulled, turn your ignition on... does the fuse pop? if no, the fault is in the blower motor.

you have to justA work one issue at a time, you will get there mate 👍 

oh and one more question,.... is all your wiring factory??? do you have a wiring diagram to reference to ensure you have pluged everything back the correct way  when you changed  the regulator and ignition switch ?

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hello from the Hoosier state. I have had some success. I disconnected the brown wire connection on the main power wire (orange) t- connector next to the light switch (white wire). tried to get a picture (to slow to upload). anyway it fixed the dome light and the blowing heater fuses on start up. trying to find out what the brown wire connects to, might shed some light on the generator light on. with the brown wire disconnected still have dash lights, gauges,lighter,and the heater works fine.

Mikie - in case you didn't know it, we have an electronic copy of the entire 1969 Pontiac Service Manual available for you to download to your PC for free. Chapter 12 - Chassis Electrical - has the wiring schematics that I think you are looking for. Since your 1968 GTO is nearly identical to a 1969, this will do you well. The manual will refer to your car as either an A=body or a Tempest in most cases, since the Tempest was the base level car and the GTO was the highest level for Pontiac.

Just click at the top under Learn/Manuals.

• Like 1

double dam, thanks I,m on it. It,s alway good to have a second set of eyes and ears in this case. best thing i,ve done this year is join up.