Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Mizzi's 1959 Star Chief Vista

2021 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Heater Core R & R

I have a 68 Grand Prix with factory air.  I need to replace the heater core.  Does anyone know if you have to remove the passenger side wheel  well to get to the bottom nut that holds the heater box?  The other three nuts are easily accessible. Thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

welcome to fp Dave:welcomeFP:

ten bucks says you have to remove the inner fender, if its anything like my 64 Bonneville, there is certainly no way you can get any of the heater parts out without removing that inner. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if it was easy everyone would be doing it !! hahaha. 

Oh and post some pictures of your 68 :cheers:

• Sad 1

I believe that you are right. I guess if I have to have the inner fender well removed that I will also change out the blower motor.  I have to look for a picture of my car.  Thanks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I think Kiwi is right, the inner fender will need to be removed, but the outer/external fender should be able to stay on.

Agree.....  with Frosty N Kiwi, Welcome to the site.  We need pic's of your Pontiac.

• Like 1

Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Gipson said:

I believe that you are right. I guess if I have to have the inner fender well removed that I will also change out the blower motor.  I have to look for a picture of my car.  Thanks.

why i know this is, i only 2 weekends ago went to fit the fenders on my 64 and no way can you install the passenger side inner and outer fenders bolted together !! ( heater fan is in the road)

i had to lay the inner over the wheel, bolt up the outer then lift the inner into place and bolt it too the out !!! a real pita!!! and i scratched the paint doing it !!! grrsss😡

• Like 1