Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Remote start won't work

Hello everyone hope you are all doing well, I have a feeling that my key fob battery is dead. But it never hurts to ask. It seems that my car wants to auto start with the key fob but the lights just flash and it doesn't start. Is there anything beyond a dead battery? Or do I have to actually chase some wires or settings down? Thanks in advance

Edited by TheWizX

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Is the car locked prior to attempting remote start on the fob? Know with GM cars the car has to be locked before the remote start will work.

Otherwise, the car is starting normally when you attempt it with a key in the ignition?

9 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Is the car locked prior to attempting remote start on the fob? Know with GM cars the car has to be locked before the remote start will work.

Otherwise, the car is starting normally when you attempt it with a key in the ignition?

Yeah it's locked before I try. Every.. 5 starts or so the car won't start the first time but I give it another go and it starts right up

12 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Step back snowman.......Ringo's got this one!:clapping:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

It is possibly the car battery voltage. New cars really need at least 12.25 or higher! The other issue that goes with that is a load test! That’s when a bad battery that shows 12.25 or higher, but when you try to start the car the voltage drops below 9.6v and actually below 10v can be suspect depending on several other factors.

My onboard computer reads 14v but you never know. I'm going to check oil and coolant and replace my fob battery. I've heard that if your fluids aren't within a certain parameter, remote start won't work 

4 minutes ago, TheWizX said:

My onboard computer reads 14v but you never know. I'm going to check oil and coolant and replace my fob battery. I've heard that if your fluids aren't within a certain parameter, remote start won't work 

That 14v is when the cars running! Which is what the alternator voltage is sending to the battery. Which has nothing to do with the battery condition!

No! Fluids will not effect the remote start!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

Just now, Last Indian said:

That 14v is when the cars running! Which is what the alternator voltage is sending to the battery. Which has nothing to do with the battery condition!

I work at an auto parts store so I will do a test on the battery and alternator and get back to you 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheWizX said:

I work at an auto parts store so I will do a test on the battery and alternator and get back to you 

Just remember it could be that, but it could be something else too! In the end it’s an electrical interface that’s the issue. Something tells something else to flow electrical energy to the starter and bypass the ignition switch! Within that entire circuit somewhere lies the problem. Battery, key fob, switch, DIC menu, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Last Indian said:

Just remember it could be that, but it could be something else too! In the end it’s an electrical interface that’s the issue. Something tells something else to flow electrical energy to the starter and bypass the ignition switch! Within that entire circuit somewhere lies the problem. Battery, key fob, switch, DIC menu, etc.

Yeah, I can tell it wants to start because I can hear a click and the lights flash but nothing happens.. I'll do some digging. Thank you for the info

• Like 1