Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

:pontiac:Ok Guys.. Have any of you done a rear disc brake swap on a 06 FWD Pontiac Torrent?

Looking for some insight into this matter.. did the chassis and suspension change for 07 ?

Just asking because 07 the FWD model came standard with rear disc and i would just like to salvage some parts from an 07 to upgrade my 06..

Tell me guys could this be done with minimal fab work as i don't own any fab tools welder,torch, ect..

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Im not currently driving it. I am rebulding it after the previous owner hit a deer in it.. I've Pretty much have gone through everything  mechanical everything sound there, and am slowly getting it apart to do the body work to repair the DS Fender and radiator support after that the car is right as rain. Got the car for $650.00 can"t beat that horse to badly so some saftey upgrades would'nt be a bad option..after its all back together and painted it will be worth $3500 wife wants to keep it go figure.. ill go snap a few pics of it idk if i still have the damage pics..

Hmmm....this is a tough one. I have never tried this swap before, so know that I am shooting from the hip here. I've read but I can't find where I read it that GM did make some subtle changes between the '06 and '07 model year on the rear suspension. 

I think homework is required here. I would search the Internet first looking for exploded diagrams, pictures, YouTube videos,etc. of your '06 Torrent and the '07 Equinox with rear disc brakes suspensions. GM shop manuals would be an ideal source for this information if you can find them. I would look for any key differences in axle design, upper and lower control arms, shock, anything that might appear to be a major difference that might prevent you mounting it to the Torrent. Clearly the brake components will be different, but that is what you want too.

I know that an easy way to put rear disk brakes on a Chevy HHR is to get the entire rear axle assembly (including the disk brakes) out of a supercharged Chevy Cobalt - from a wrecking yard, and then get the proper brake proportioning valve for the SC Cobalt. The Cobalt and HHR are the same platform.

Your swap may - may be a similar deal, depending on your research. You may want to get the entire rear axle assembly out of a wrecked '07 Equinox and then get the '07 proportioning valve (for the rear disc brake option). My concern is that the mounting hardware/locations maybe different between disc and drums, necessitating the replacement axle as the starting point. Again, I am shooting from the hip.

That's my thoughts anyway.

• Thanks 1

I would have to agree with Joe! A lot of work & expense for 30 to maybe 40% better rear stopping power, not overall, just rear. Still if that’s what you desire the link below gives info about 07 having 4 wheel disc.

https://www.newcartestdrive.com/reviews/2007-pontiac-torrent/

Remember though you have to change everything if you want abs! Including the abs module, the ecm, different restricters, master cylinder and so on, etc!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Last Indian said:

I would have to agree with Joe! A lot of work & expense for 30 to maybe 40% better rear stopping power, not overall, just rear. Still if that’s what you desire the link below gives info about 07 having 4 wheel disc.

https://www.newcartestdrive.com/reviews/2007-pontiac-torrent/

Remember though you have to change everything if you want abs! Including the abs module, the ecm, different restricters, master cylinder and so on, etc!

Good catch Last Indian.

If memory serves, the Torrent GXP had a few extra ponies than the stock Torrent and Equinox and it still didn't have rear discs. Food for thought anyway.

Edited by Frosty
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with that. We certainly want to see what you have to go thru and encounter. Pictures are always welcome. Just shout if you come up against anything you need help with.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, RearDiscMy06Torrent said:

Ok well ill just can the idea thanks guys.. i will get some pictures of the torrent up as i proceed with the repair

Project deer damage is on!!!!

Greg, don’t let our comments detour you if you really think it’s something you want to attempt! I’ve done many things crazier than what you suggest here. Things people thought were insane. Like designing and building my own brake system. I believe we  just want you to be aware of the effort, detail and knowledge involved.

like Frosty said if you need us we’re here to help however we can!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't the Torrent share the same underpinnings as the G6.  That might be a good starting point if the wheel lug pattern is the same.

I don't believe so. The Equinox/Torrent was GM's Theta platform. The G6 was part of the Epsilon platform. So I don't think too much of the suspension parts are interchangeable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, RearDiscMy06Torrent said:

Ok well ill just can the idea thanks guys.. i will get some pictures of the torrent up as i proceed with the repair

Project deer damage is on!!!!

Project deer damage is commencing

20180209_154042.jpg

20180209_154054.jpg

I've got the new radiator support in finally..:D

Now the real work can start..

Edited by RearDiscMy06Torrent
Needed to add to commentary

It didnt come this way I have taken it down to this state. need to replace front bumper cover, grille, ds fog light and bezel, ds headlight, ds fender, replace front calipers and rotors not to mention paint all to be done by yours truly. I'll post some pictures of the damaged parts.

20180209_153956.jpg

20180209_154022.jpg