Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then you'll need a tech with a high end obdll to check out the electronic shift solenoids one is most likely bad, possibly the pressure control solenoid valve. If it's one of them their a real pain. Got to pull everything on the drivers side, suspension, axle, etc. ugly! Sorry! If the cars worth it put in a new 4t65e hd. 

Ok, you'll need to get a tech with high end obdll that can test the trans operation. Most likely it's a shift solenoid or more likely the pressure control solenoid valve. If that proves to be the case, that a load of work. Everything on the drivers side has to come out or pull the tranny. Either way if the cars worth it & that's the problem you might be better off replacing the tranny.

2020, one other thought. Put the trans in manual mode. Place the shifter in 1st. as you drive shift to 2nd. then 3rd., but don't put it in D. See if that keeps it from down shifting.

So when i left work i put it in first gear and turned to the left and started driving and it didnt do it.. even when i slowed down to stop the speedometer didnt jump.. but when i got home i tried it again and it was doing it again!!! This thing is possesed lol

Well it may not help, but ground issues are the second largest causes of electrical issues. There are multiple grounds connections up front. The main ground on the frame by the battery, four on the engine & trans, one on the back firewall, one over by the drivers strut tower. Four out front on the core support. Then at least 4 under in the cab area. All of these should be pulled and wire brushed and the surface they attach to should be wire to clean metal. Then when reconnected electrical grease should be used to coat them.