Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello fellow Pontiac enthusiasts,

I am here to seek guidance and counsel. I recently had my front suspension break on me. More specifically, the lower shock mount broke free from the front passenger lower A-arm (I think it's the A-arm). Where the lower shock mount is supposed to bolt on, I no longer have those two holes. The metal broke right there, and I do not have one of those holes for the shock to mount to. 

So here is my conundrum. I am thinking about upgrading my suspension, but I am not sure what to do first or where to begin looking. Currently, I am pretty sure I have the original setup--suspension, drum brakes, 14" PMD 5-star rims/tires. I would like to do any upgrading on somewhat of a budget, as my wife told me "You don't HAVE any money to do this!" But we will see....

I have read somewhere before that some people have swapped in a Corvette suspension/brake/hub setup. Is that even possible? If so, how easy is that? If not a Corvette setup, what would be a direct swap? I am looking for something that is relatively easy to do, as well as relatively easy on the bank account. (see above WIFE comment). 

So that all are aware of what car I currently have.... I own a 1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 4-door hardtop. It has a relatively new Pontiac 400ci V8, and a rebuilt TH350 transmission. The engine has been completely redone, as well. Bored out, all new internals, heads redone, it is NICE!!! The rest of the car, however, is mostly original. And of course, those are the parts I have to work on or fix up. Case in point, the suspension issue of which I am now typing about here on ForeverPontiac. I will soon be adding a few photos of my car. But for now, I simply ask for HELP!

I welcome information from any and all folks willing to dole out the advice. In advance, THANK YOU.

Your Pal,

EZ_SLEAZY

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

EZ,

If  budget constraints limit your plan, I think you would be far better off with just replacing everything with STOCK components and put together an upgrade plan for a future time. All major Pontiac Parts suppliers should carry the reproduction upper and lower control arms, OPGI is just one for instance . Both in full assemblies with ball joints shaft, bushings etc. Or bare assemblies that you would have to assemble. This would save you time and money and more importantly get the Tempest back on the road PDQ.

JM2C

Cheers  

Sprint6 is right on point. Your wallet dictates what you can do and what has to wait. Stock replacement parts are the cheapest and quickest way to improve your Tempest ride.

One thing you have to consider is what do want to do with this car eventuallly? 100% stock? Auto cross? Occasional quarter mile blast? Circle track? Or quick street cruiser? These will all cost you various amounts of money depending on where you are going with this car. Since it is a four door I suspect is probably a stock cruiser but that is your call.

Replacing worn out all bushings and ball joints should be a top priority. Inspect and repair as needed the drag link pieces, the pitman and idler arms, and rag joint. I think just doing this will make a tremendous improvement in your car.

Once you have these things taken care you should also inspect the brakes. If it is a stock four wheel drum setup, that's okay for now. Again the wallet rules here. OEM parts still exist. Front disc and four wheel disc brake conversions can happen when you have the money.

Adding a rear sway bar if your car doesn't have one will improve handling but it requires boxed rear lower control arms.

Positraction is nice if you have an open differential.

All it takes is money and time.

Edited by Frosty