Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Focus 1.0-liter EcoBoost

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Europe, Hatchback, Ford, Quick SpinsA Sneak Peek At Our Three-Cylinder Future

2012-ford-focus-1l-ecoboost-qs.jpg

Remember the good old days, when compact cars were powered by six-cylinder engines? Yeah, neither do we.

It's been a long time since a mainstream brand offered anything other than a four-banger in its econoboxes, and for good reason. While a half-dozen cylinders might have been necessary to adequately motivate Ford Falcon, Dodge Dart and later Chevrolet Cavalier models, any carmaker will tell you that modern four cylinders make more than enough power to propel even today's jumbo-sized compacts.

But wait just a minute. What did we say? More than enough power. That sounds like an opportunity.

Indeed, Ford has announced it will soon be selling a three-cylinder engine, in a car, in the United States. But not just any triple - a turbocharged, direct-injected three-cylinder with independent variable cam timing wearing the EcoBoost moniker on its plastic engine cover. Making 123 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque, the 1.0-liter Ecoboost is already on sale in Europe, where it comes installed in mid-spec Focus models. By comparison, the direct-injected 2.0-liter naturally aspirated four in our domestic Focus makes 160 hp and 146 lb-ft of torque.

Continue reading 2012 Ford Focus 1.0-liter EcoBoost

2012 Ford Focus 1.0-liter EcoBoost originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.<h6 style="clear: both; padding: 8px 0 0 0; height: 2px; font-size: 1px; border: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0;"></h6>Permalink | Email this | Comments

di</img>

di</img>

autoblog?i=cC-bvzkmXOc:N2Q383uNH1w:wF9xT3WuBAs</img> autoblog?i=cC-bvzkmXOc:N2Q383uNH1w:V_sGLiPBpWU</img>cC-bvzkmXOc

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/cC-bvzkmXOc/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

That's a bold move for Ford. Honestly, I was expecting the Japanese to bring over a small car with a turbo three. And 123HP from a single liter three cylinder is impressive.

I'm expecting the typical "HURR DAT MOTOR TOO SMALL" comments from people about this. They reacted the same when the Cruze was announced with the 1.4T motor, now look...people buy them by the ton.

• Founders

V6 Grand Prix: 140 hp.

I3 Focus: 123 hp.

Crazy. I will be interested in trying one.

With a 20+ year difference in manufacturing time that seems about right. Some "sports cars" back 30 years ago have about the same HP as my G6 :lol:

I'm kind of curious to see how it would be to drive an I3, never would think to own one but just want to see how much lag there is and how much you have to romp on it to get going.