Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

2001 Grand Am - tail light question

My rear passenger side signal light is out. It's not the bulb; the contact must have gotten wet somehow and is now corroded. I've tried in vain to chip away the worst of it...I think it's beyond repair.

The only solution I can concieve of is to replace the tail light assembly. I could go junk yard hunting, but I'm worried that *if* they have one that I wouldn't be able to determine the quality, and I'm unsure of my ability to install it. I suspect there would be soldering involved.

The other option is to track down a pontiac dealer, and hope the wallet abuse would be minimal.

Either way, this thing needs to pass inspection this month. Are there any other places I can grab this part?

I could also use a few knobs for my AC setting and temperature dials...

Duely blundered from my thunderdolt

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Did some quick searching on Rock Auto:

RockAuto.jpg

$36 for BOTH socket boards before shipping. I paid $25 each when I was still working for Autozone.

Pic references:

6070033-001.jpg

6070033-1-001.jpg

Get to it! Make sure you buy new bulbs as well for the new sockets, start fresh!

Each side has five bulbs, ten bulbs altogether. Including the third light in the trunk (3 bulbs) and bottom back up lights in the bumper (1 each) for a total of 15 bulbs on the backend of these cars (yeah, I know. :lol: )

Bulb #'s:

3157 - stop/tail

3156 - turn signal & back up

921 - bottom back up

912 - third light

I've had the same problem before and I've been through a couple sets of these boards in the past 9 years. In the past I've always had a second set of tails to pull the boards off of but for that price, I'm considering picking up a fresh set for the next time I need to replace them.

Well, thanks for weaving some savings as well as chaos! Would you get the bulbs and other small things (wiper blades) from rockauto? Seems like they have badass prices, but you always have to be careful with the shipping.

Rock Auto's shipping isn't bad at all.

Wiper Blades? I prefer the contour, or beam style blades (frameless) over the frame design.

Pic:

Icon%20Wiper%20Blade%20Set.jpg

Shown are the blades I have on both my Pontiac and Mitsubishi: Bosch Icons. Usually run $42 a pair at normal prices. If you go to an AutoZone or Advanced Auto, they have them on sale most of the time.

Sizes for the GA are:

Driver's Side: 22 inch

Passenger Side: 17 inch

As for bulbs, I prefer the Slyvania long life bulbs. But if you buy the normal bulbs, take advantage of the cheap price, and buy in bulk. Personally, I'd buy 15 of EACH bulb you'll need. Not just for your own car, but you'll have handy spares for other cars in your stable, or a friend that needs one.

What I meant with the shipping is, after you factor it in, is it still "cheaper" than going to a retailer? The base price certainly is, and I'm tempted to go with rockauto based on those cheap 10 bulb packs.

The wipers you prefer, do they last any longer than the standard fare? And/Or is it a performance leg up?

• Founders
' timestamp='1334607830' post='70279']

Yes, with the shipping you're still getting a killer deal.

The wiper blades I recommended are some of the best you can buy.

Hmmm... Looking for new blades, how would you rate these against the Rain-x Latitudes? I liked them at first but they deteriorated fast and smear like crazy now.

Hmmm... Looking for new blades, how would you rate these against the Rain-x Latitudes? I liked them at first but they deteriorated fast and smear like crazy now.

I had the Lattitudes when they first came out back in 08, lasted me two and a half years. The Bosch Icons are also holding up nicely.

Keep in mind, I routinely clean the blades.

• Founders
' timestamp='1334616671' post='70302']

I had the Lattitudes when they first came out back in 08, lasted me two and a half years. The Bosch Icons are also holding up nicely.

Keep in mind, I routinely clean the blades.

Yeah it's bee about 3 years since install of my Latitudes, I normally clean them too whenever I wash the car or they have been sitting for a while.

I'll try them out. :)

Yeah it's bee about 3 years since install of my Latitudes, I normally clean them too whenever I wash the car or they have been sitting for a while.

I'll try them out. :)

Three years? Be happy, that's triple the life of average blades. If you want Bosch Icons, look for the "OE" Icons.

• Founders
' timestamp='1334620971' post='70312']

Three years? Be happy, that's triple the life of average blades. If you want Bosch Icons, look for the "OE" Icons.

Yeah, they were only decent for only a couple months. lol

I had those straight blade wipers for about 5 days while living in Germany. They lift off the window and don't do a very good job clearing the water once you get over 100 MPH...

You shouldn't have that problem here in the US at least. :lol2: