Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

EFI conversion and ignition

I have a 70 400 that should be coming back from the rebuilder soon. Looking at putting on an EZ-EFI system. Also need new ignition set-up. Any set-ups that have worked and/or didn't work out? No points. Digital box? I am not worried about stock appearing, want reliable and bulletproof.

Thanx

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Talk with your engine builder and see what he recommends. I would use whatever ignition system that your builder or FAST recommends to support the EZ-EFI system.

I suspect it will be an MSD pointless distributor (its the most popular) but I could be wrong. I doubt that you need a digital box unless you are going to make something north of 500-600 HP, which is about the limits of original EZ-EFI system anyway, thus you'd have to go to the EZ-EFI 2.0 system too. You have not indicated this was going to be very high performance build so I am assuming stock or slightly better-than-stock HP/torque numbers on your 400 CI engine.

If an MSD distributor is not needed and a stock or stock appearing distributor is all that is needed, you can convert your stock distributor to pointless with a Petronix II or Pertronix III kit (which is what I run in my 455/462 Lemans). Otherwise, you can buy a host of new pointless distributors from MSD, Accel, Pertronix, Mallory, Edelbrock, or even Summit Racing's own brand - depending on your taste and budget. Be sure to spring for a new coil if you are getting a new distributor. Now is not the time to be chintzy if you are spending big bucks on a rebuild.

You might also want to get a new spring/weight kit to re-curve your distributor to get the most mechanical advance timing in at a lower RPM. Again, your engine builder can tell you about it. These spring/weight kits run around $7 from Summit.

Does your builder have an engine dyno? If he does, I recommend paying whatever the hourly rate is to break the engine in and run it with the FAST system. That way you know everything works and what your motor is capable of.

Also check with your builder on the spark plugs, plug wires, and plug gap he recommends for your engine. Quality products from beginning to end is the name of the game here.

Edited by Frosty

• 1 month later...

My engine is back home. Should be getting the flow sheet soon. As it sits, KRE heads modified by SD Performance, port matched Torker II, Comp Cams roller cam, H beam rods, forged aluminum pistons, .040 overbore. I did go with the HEI ignition. It's cleaner and more simple. Less parts , less failures.

400.JPG

Sweet combo. I can’t wait to what she’ll do both on the dyno and in the car!

Edited by Frosty

• 4 months later...

I see this is an older topic.  You get it in the car and dynoed yet?  My 455/462 has a quick fuel carb, 750CFM, MSD, 477HP, 550TQ at the crank. MSD ignition.