Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
  • Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a source for a timing belt for the 230 cu. in. OHC in-line 6, other than dropping $125 (plus s/h) at kanter.

I'm a brand new member, so please let me know if this belongs in a different / more specific forum.

Thank you in advance for any leads.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Regrettably that is just about our only option. There are one or maybe two more dealers out there and the price is the same. I will stick with Kanter as they have been in the game a long time. 

I look at this way, they were the only ones to get them re-made and that is one thing all previous OHC parts suppliers should have been thinking about, so at the least we have a source. It's a high price but these belts will go 100K+  if kept tear/oil free so money well spent. 

Other parts are once again becoming endangered as well. Starters, Water pumps being at the top of the list again. The price we pay to own such a unique engine I guess.      

SPRINT6, thanks for the back story. I didn't know that kanter had gone to the trouble to have these re-made.

It's a lot for a belt, but it is what it is and as you rightly point out, just a part of the price for such a cool and unique engine.

Thanks for filling me in!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Featured Topics

• Similar Content

• By 65gtotrips
      My compilation of assorted Pontiac Muscle...
      PONTIAC • ALL YEARS • PHOTO ALBUM
      65GTOTRIPS https://foreverpontiac.com/profile/3605-65gtotrips/
    • By Tempest Dave
      Arizona Pontiac owner. Current project : 64 Tempest Custom 326

• By EZ_SLEAZY
      Hello fellow Pontiac enthusiasts,
      I am here to seek guidance and counsel. I recently had my front suspension break on me. More specifically, the lower shock mount broke free from the front passenger lower A-arm (I think it's the A-arm). Where the lower shock mount is supposed to bolt on, I no longer have those two holes. The metal broke right there, and I do not have one of those holes for the shock to mount to. 
      So here is my conundrum. I am thinking about upgrading my suspension, but I am not sure what to do first or where to begin looking. Currently, I am pretty sure I have the original setup--suspension, drum brakes, 14" PMD 5-star rims/tires. I would like to do any upgrading on somewhat of a budget, as my wife told me "You don't HAVE any money to do this!" But we will see....
      I have read somewhere before that some people have swapped in a Corvette suspension/brake/hub setup. Is that even possible? If so, how easy is that? If not a Corvette setup, what would be a direct swap? I am looking for something that is relatively easy to do, as well as relatively easy on the bank account. (see above WIFE comment). 
      So that all are aware of what car I currently have.... I own a 1967 Pontiac Tempest Custom 4-door hardtop. It has a relatively new Pontiac 400ci V8, and a rebuilt TH350 transmission. The engine has been completely redone, as well. Bored out, all new internals, heads redone, it is NICE!!! The rest of the car, however, is mostly original. And of course, those are the parts I have to work on or fix up. Case in point, the suspension issue of which I am now typing about here on ForeverPontiac. I will soon be adding a few photos of my car. But for now, I simply ask for HELP!
      I welcome information from any and all folks willing to dole out the advice. In advance, THANK YOU.
      Your Pal,
      EZ_SLEAZY
    • By Old Man Taylor
      This rendition is from a picture taken at the track last week (4-30-16).  I will be getting a 24" x 48" vinyl poster of it for my garage.

• By steveeoaktree
      Here I am again turning to the experts... I methodically went through everything that I thought was necessary on a vehicle that is 40 years old and had sat for a while.. New plugs, cap, rotor, carb rebuild, fuel pump, oil change (and filter), and some seafoam in the tank along with adding a few gallons of fresh fuel. She's still "popping" or "stumbling" when I open the throttle. Runs perfectly smooth at idle, and "cruise" speeds. It's possible I reckon that I could've got the float drop set wrong or the float level..? I also am going to check the dizzy tomorrow along with checking all vac lines with the best diagram that I have so far... Fuel filter has also been changed.  Due to how smooth it runs normally, I was trying to avoid looking into any serious valvetrain issues, well and the fact it has only 66,000 on her. I don't really know the tendencies or weaknesses of these particular years' of engines though. Any direction is appreciates! I was considering possibly there may be build up on the valves?

Stevee

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.