Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello from VA,

New to this site/forum. Considering purchase of a 61 Ventura Bubbletop with 65 389/4bbl, HP unknown. Was a column 3spd, now has on floor. Poor conversion job. Plan is to  change over to an auto as seller wants to keep manual shift linkage and steering column. He's asking $500 for a fair body, mostly there car with all trim, all interior, complete dash, no broken glass, no major body damage (other than sitting outside for 15 years). Will do mechanical (brakes, fuel, etc) resto to be road worthy. Will thoroughly check frame and replace rusty trunk panel. Questions: Will BOP "A" body steering column from 64 Chevelle auto trans car replace steering column, a source for auto brake pedal setup, what auto trans will fit behind 65 engine, source for 1/4 panels and other sheet metal and anything else needed to consider. I know there are many uncertainties with this purchase. Suggestions and advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Attached 62 Catalina picture is what I drive daily now.

62 pont.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I would not expect an A-body to fit. Typically a column from the same body size or similar models would fit. So expect a column for a 61 Bonneville, Catalina, Buick Electra, LeSabre, Invicta, Chevy Impala, etc to fit. There are a lot of speciality wrecking yards that you could contact.

Since you want to convert your car to automatic you might want to purchase a brand new column from either Flaming River or Ididit. You can add tilt and cruise options, as well as provisions for column vs console shift. Plus it comes with a warranty

Any BOP bolt pattern transmission will fit up to a 389. Powerglide, Th350, TH400, or a TH 200 4R (overdrive). With the OD tranny you will have to move the crossmember back a few more inches than stock and install a TV cable.

Not sure what you mean about an auto brake setup. Are you thinking of a front disc brake conversion?

Edited by Frosty

Frosty,

Appreciate the quick response. Great info on the trans question. 

Actually, will use existing manual brake pedal so do not need that. Am thinking that I could expand steering column search to include thru 64 as well as I do not think there's a real difference between p/s and m/s columns. (I probably am incorrect, there?) 1/4 panels are needed. Summit advertises these for $614 in attached picture and at this url.   

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-gbc1461-pr/overview/make/pontiac/model/catalina

Thank you,

Nick

fetch.jpg

There is a difference in columns between automatic and manual shift columns, especially if the manual shifter is on the column vs. the floor. I agree expanding your search out to '64 is a wise move.

New 1/4 panel sheet metal is great, but what about inner and outer wheel houses, trunk floor pans, etc.?

Good Morning Frosty,

Aware of difference in auto/manual/floor/columns. Mostly was concerned about length difference. I have a GM A body from 64 Chevelle tilt column column and wanted to know if it was long enough. Will have to measure. Agree that inner and outer wheel housings may be required. Issue is sources. Any extant? I tried to place two adverts in classifieds but, can't seem to get them to post.

Best, Nick