Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So, to grand am or not to

Well since im having some issues with the trans am and also the cobalt ive been thinking about getting out of the game a little bit and trying to lessen my car loan debt

was looking at this

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?t...mp;aff=national

my first 2 cars were grand ams and this is the car i wanted for my 3rd one but it didnt happen because I felt I had to have a 5 speed, im kinda over that now and actually prefer automatic. Looks to me to be a fine example of the breed, bit high on mileage but other than that looks good right?

what are some faults of the 3400 grand ams, I been out the grand am game for about a decade now ?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

LIM gasket, or Head gasket, cant remember what one. It needs to be changed if its rotting. Also flushed, if it hasn't. Just gotta watch 100k miles is when ya gotta start doing all the regular maintenance.

Otherwise looks clean, if i could re get a grand am that would be exactly it.

Nice find. It has the SC/T package, (hood and spoiler) which a lot of 5th gen owners really want. (I just have the spoiler)

95K, that is rather high on mileage... Get any repair and maintainence history that you can, carfax too.

The LA1 has it's quirks, usually the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gasket. Head gaskets are never an issue, unless there's a major coolant failure. Changing the thermostat can be a pain as well, since it's right by the crossover pipe near the trans. You can see the housing under the throttle body, right where the trans bolts up to the block. To see if there's an LIM issue, check the condition of the coolant in the overflow bottle. If it's clean, and watery, you're good. If it's chunky and nasty, and LIM issue may be going on. The DexCool coolant doesn't like to be exposed to air inside the motor under pressure, and it'll turn chunky if exposed to air in the system. And STICK WITH DEXCOOL!! Because of the aluminum parts in the motor. Just do a flush every 40K, and the DexCool will never have the chance to get acidic and eat through hoses and gaskets.

Also, hub assemblies tend to go after 100K, my right front ate it at 103K. Also, be weary of the cat. The LA1 cars had clogging problems, so if there's a big lack of acceleration and drop in gas mileage, and a tune up doesn't help (plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve etc)

Also, ignition tune ups, the car is due, and the LA1's ignition system is fickle with plugs. STICK WITH THE AC DELCO IRIDIUMS!!! I've seen too many times from my old job, and online, people cheap out, buy cheap crap plugs, and have issues. The AC Delco plug # 41-101. They're $6 a piece. Also, change the wires too, regardless if they appear fine on the outside.

That should cover the basic maintainence things, I love the 5th gen GA's, and I know you'll love the coupe. Just rid those doofy mickey mouse mirrors when ya buy it plz. I hate those things. :D another cheap mod or two, since it's an 04, yank the DRL relay (since they're useless) and give it a good ol' debadging. :D