Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

ga owners help !!!!!!!!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

engrish please?

well u dont have a ga so it dont matter lol

common sense the air idle valve .... if its going out would it cause bad acceleration ?

better

lol

well u dont have a ga so it dont matter lol

common sense the air idle valve .... if its going out would it cause bad acceleration ?

well i would think people who work on cars dont HAVE to have your exact car to help figure out your problem. do you only take your car to a mechanic who HAS a GA?

and it depends, how much acceleration can one get in their driveway?

lol anyway, a bad idle valve usually effects the idle. hesitation and horrible accel is usually spark problems

(thats in general, not just your engine)

and "common sense the air valve" isnt a sentence either. work on that engrish

you might have to give us more info than "bad accel". is it low end accel? is it top end? is it both? when it bogs down is it getting too much fuel, or too much air?

I use to have a car that would idle ruff and have a hard time shifting into 3 & 4 gear. It turned out to be a loose spark plug wire, for some odd reason it would rattle loose or even fall off. (the spark plug end)

I use to have a car that would idle ruff and have a hard time shifting into 3 & 4 gear. It turned out to be a loose spark plug wire, for some odd reason it would rattle loose or even fall off. (the spark plug end)

well according to mr .mechanic (kaymo) than it has to be a fuel problem . because when i go to floor it , it just seems its no getting all the fuel it should or some thing . and for that exact reason i only take my car to the grand am mechanic where i live , because he knows what i mean when i just tell him

Hrmmmm...

The IACV won't affect acceleration.

It's either of three things here,

1: Bad spark. Plugs and wires could be done, replace with a quality aftermarket or OEM wires. Stick with the AC Delco Iridium plugs since you have the LA1 motor. Anything else, the motor will run like crap.

2: Bad fuel delivery/pressure. Replace the fuel filter, which is easy. It's in between the rear suspension and the tank. Also, the fuel pressure regulator is a possibilty, but you'd have a vacuum leak also.

3: Bad catalytic converter. My GA did this at 82K. Bad acceleration, bad gas mileage. Replace with a direct fit OEM style. Autozone carries the Magnaflow direct fit, $165. I have the same one with zero issues.

What's the mileage on the GA? Also, has a tune up been done? SES light at all?

' date='Apr 2 2010, 01:39 PM' post='19719']

Hrmmmm...

The IACV won't affect acceleration.

It's either of three things here,

1: Bad spark. Plugs and wires could be done, replace with a quality aftermarket or OEM wires. Stick with the AC Delco Iridium plugs since you have the LA1 motor. Anything else, the motor will run like crap.

2: Bad fuel delivery/pressure. Replace the fuel filter, which is easy. It's in between the rear suspension and the tank. Also, the fuel pressure regulator is a possibilty, but you'd have a vacuum leak also.

3: Bad catalytic converter. My GA did this at 82K. Bad acceleration, bad gas mileage. Replace with a direct fit OEM style. Autozone carries the Magnaflow direct fit, $165. I have the same one with zero issues.

What's the mileage on the GA? Also, has a tune up been done? SES light at all?

no lights or anything it could be spark plugs thats all i can think off

ok i forgot to ask, when you floor it and you get the bog, it could be from too much or too little fuel. if its too much, it would dump it out the back and you would smell rich exhaust. bad spark would allow unburnt fuel to dump out the back as well. do you smell gas in the exhaust?

ok i forgot to ask, when you floor it and you get the bog, it could be from too much or too little fuel. if its too much, it would dump it out the back and you would smell rich exhaust. bad spark would allow unburnt fuel to dump out the back as well. do you smell gas in the exhaust?

no you cant smell it i try spark plugs

if you dont smell gas, then check all your vacuum lines. are those cars MAF or MAP? i havent looked at many grandams. if its MAF check your intake piping for leaks

hey i just realized how close grandam and grandma is.....

HAHA awesome

If your idle air control valve (which is common in many cars, btw) went bad, your problem wouldn't be hesitation. But I agree with Chaos, plugs and wires would be a good starting point. Then move on to fuel.

well according to mr .mechanic (kaymo) than it has to be a fuel problem . because when i go to floor it , it just seems its no getting all the fuel it should or some thing . and for that exact reason i only take my car to the grand am mechanic where i live , because he knows what i mean when i just tell him

Are you always this much of a Jack-mo to people who help you?

it seems that if you dont like the answer or statement to somethign you post you like to be a dick... Maybe you shouldnt ask the Whole board in a thread a question.... you should try PMing people who have grandams if you want to know their opinion only