Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Prototype '69 Trans Am Sold at Barrett-Jackson

I suspect some of you might have missed the sale of one of three-built silver '69 Firebird Trans Am prototype cars. These were Firebirds that were pulled off the line and then modified by Pontiac Engineering and car customizer Gene Winfield. This car is not part of the 669 production figures either. It is certified by PHS and well documented in many of the car magazines of the day. It was restored by Scott Tiemann's Suerpcar Specialities shop in Portland, Michigan.

The car has a Ram Air IV engine, 400 THM, and Palladium Silver. It sold for $285.000.00

Clearly this is an important piece of Pontiac performance history.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1969-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-180191

180191_Side_Profile_Web.JPG

180191_Engine_Web.JPG

180191_Interior_Web.jpg

180191_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I suspect some of you might have missed the sale of one of three-built silver '69 Firebird Trans Am prototype cars. These were Firebirds that were pulled off the line and then modified by Pontiac Engineering and car customizer Gene Winfield. This car is not part of the 669 production figures either. It is certified by PHS and well documented in many of the car magazines of the day. It was restored by Scott Tiemann's Suerpcar Specialities shop in Portland, Michigan.

The car has a Ram Air IV engine, 400 THM, and Palladium Silver. It sold for $285.000.00

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1969-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-180191

180191_Engine_Web.JPG

180191_Interior_Web.jpg

180191_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

That's a lot of money Frosty, but it seems low to me and shows that Pontiacs are still not getting the respect they deserve. Not that I'm complaining because it means that classic Pontiacs are still somewhat affordable. But can you imagine if this were say the prototype '67 Z-28 Camaro (if there was one)... I am sure it would probably be close to $1million. I don't get it.
  • Like 1

It still comes down to exclusiveness, low production numbers, and what someone is willing to pay. Frankly stratman, I really thought if any Pontiac was going to sell for close to $1 million, I would have thought the restored Stan Antcoler's '63 SD Lemans (a 1-of-12 purpose built race cars) would have done it, but it didn't break $300k sweat at Mecum last January.

So, yes, stratman, I agree with you, Pontiacs, Olds, and even Buicks are not getting the respect of mega dollar prices that certain Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and Plymouth cars seem to enjoy.

I think if any production Pontiac (not the Motorama Bonneville) has a chance of a $1million payday, it would be one of the eight '69 T/A convertibiles, should one ever come up for auction.

True since the 13 '71 GTO Judge convertibles have not rung that bell yet. The only rarer production car that I can possibly think of is the 3 '72 GTO station wagons that were built as a lark by some mischievous line workers at the Farmington Mass. assembly plant. I have yet to even see a picture of one of these babies.

It still comes down to exclusiveness, low production numbers, and what someone is willing to pay. Frankly stratman, I really thought if any Pontiac was going to sell for close to $1 million, I would have thought the restored Stan Antcoler's '63 SD Lemans (a 1-of-12 purpose built race cars) would have done it, but it didn't break $300k sweat at Mecum last January.

So, yes, stratman, I agree with you, Pontiacs, Olds, and even Buicks are not getting the respect of mega dollar prices that certain Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and Plymouth cars seem to enjoy.

I'm seeing a lot of respect for 442's lately at the auctions, often selling for $100K+.

True since the 13 '71 GTO Judge convertibles have not rung that bell yet. The only rarer production car that I can possibly think of is the 3 '72 GTO station wagons that were built as a lark by some mischievous line workers at the Farmington Mass. assembly plant. I have yet to even see a picture of one of these babies.

Never heard of these, Frosty... now that's rare! I've seen GTO wagons built by individuals, but had no idea any were built on the assembly line. I'm still pretty sure a documented '69 T/A vert will still bring the strongest money of any regular production Pontiac, including these three wagons.

I'm seeing a lot of respect for 442's lately at the auctions, often selling for $100K+.

Never heard of these, Frosty... now that's rare! I've seen GTO wagons built by individuals, but had no idea any were built on the assembly line. I'm still pretty sure a documented '69 T/A vert will still bring the strongest money of any regular production Pontiac, including these three wagons.

Yes the 442 and GSXs are making a strong showing for sure, and I do love the Lansing and Flint iron.

I agree that the authentic documented '69 TA convertible would do well since there are so few of them, but I don't see them breaking the million dollar mark either.

Yes, the three '72 GTO wagons are documented as being factory built cars. Jim Wagners has confirmed that three GTO wagons were built at the Framington Mass plant before plant management caught onto the gag.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2015 at 5:53 PM, stratman said:
On 2/1/2015 at 4:57 PM, Frosty said:

180191_Engine_Web.JPG

180191_Interior_Web.jpg

180191_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

That's a lot of money Frosty, but it seems low to me and shows that Pontiacs are still not getting the respect they deserve. Not that I'm complaining because it means that classic Pontiacs are still somewhat affordable. But can you imagine if this were say the prototype '67 Z-28 Camaro (if there was one)... I am sure it would probably be close to $1million. I don't get it.

This T/A is amazing and turned out to be well bought by the owner who recognized the car and will appreciated it!  Most Pontiacs cost more than Chev's when new, so owners that understood the benefits paid the price and reaped the rewards. There were fewer on the roads, a smaller following and Pontiac became overshadowed by the sheer numbers of Chev's until GM pulled the plug on the Indian Chief. I know my 69 Firebird won't have the same value as a similar Camaro and that's ok, as I like what I own and that's what matters.