Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi All. I'm new to this forum and I haven't been able to find the topic that I need to deal with. I am a proud owner of a 2006 Vibe and have had very few problems for the past five years of ownership. However, I am starting to have water leak into the interior after a rain storm. It's coming from the roof area and dripping (sometimes heavily) down onto my left knee. I do NOT have a sunroof. However, I do have a roof rack, which is where my Pontiac service guy thinks the water is coming in from. I want to remove the rack myself to see if I can find the source, but I'm afraid of prying off the caps for fear of breaking a critical plastic part. Or should I just pay Mr. Goodwrench to remove the rack for me? Also, could this leakage also be causing the area around my gas cap to rust? Thanks in advance!!

John

2006 Vibe and 2006 Grand Prix

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Moved to correct forum, "Questions and Concerns"

At first, I was gonna say that it was the sun roof because G6s have an issue where they leak when it rains because the drain tubes get dislodged unless you glue them together...

I personally would test it out, either pour some water on the roof of the car and see if it goes out or take off the headliner and see if it comes in. Also can try putting some plumbers putty around it if you know that's the issue, no idea if the putty will do any paint damage though.

On the gas cap issue, it all depends if the water has capability to run down there, which is another thing you can test. The G6 issue runs down to the seat belt compartment.

How difficult is it to remove the rack? IMO, the dealer is the last place you wanna go, unless it's under warranty. A body shop would be your best bet for this issue.

As for the rust, pics?

Most of the time the roof rack has drain lines in it and if they have come loose then that is the leak. The rust around the gas cap is probably due to poor painting of the car.