Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi All,

I've got a '57 SuperChief that I would like to lower.  Of course I'm doing blocks in the back, however are there any suggestions for lowering the front?  I can cut the springs, or convert to drop spindles but I haven't seen drop axles for kingpin suspension.  In any case, looking for some ideas.  Thanks. 

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Dave, sorry but can't answer your question about lowering the front, but just wanted to comment that they sure do look a lot cooler sitting closer to the ground. My own '57 has lowering blocks in the back, but the front has a clip off a 1978 Chev Malibu which gives disc brakes, power steering, front anti-roll bar, and of course ball joints.

Hope you get a response from somebody else to your query.

• Like 1

Hi,

How did you add a front clip from a '78 Malibu?  I'm interested in know the process and how it's done.  Fabulous looking car by the way. 

Dave

Edited by DaveD
  • Like 1

Hi Dave, the front clip from the Malibu was grafted to the car in the US before I purchased it in 2012, so I don't know the process. However, this was an often done modification back in the late 20th century, before all the aftermarket front suspension and replacement chassis stuff began appearing.

Basically, the original chassis is cut off in front of the firewall, and the replacement welded in it's place. Apart from making sure everything is square and lined up, the biggest problem was constructing someway to mount all the original front sheet metal and bumpers on the newer front chassis. 

Thanks for the compliment on the car, as it has been a 10 year project for me to get it to this stage. 

• Like 1

Essentially the process consists of taking a newer GM A-body chassis or F-body sub-frame, removing the '57s front chassis from around the firewall forward. The grafting of the A/F chassis into the '57 frame is done by an experienced welder/fabricator.

The advantage of using a newer A/F chassis is it allows you to take advantage of more modern aftermarket brake, suspension, steering and engine mounting locations that would not fit the stock '57 chassis. The aftermarket has a plethora of bolt on/replacement parts for the A/F front end.

• Like 1

Hi Dave 

I have a 57 that I will be using a complete c4 corvette front in 

this will give modern geometry and I can set my ride height . 
I haven’t seen anyone making drop spindles for 57 yet … but someone very well may !

Custom springs would be a cheap option on a stock front end 

and a change in tire profile would help get the front down too 

• Like 1