Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Keane165's 1970 LeMans

2022 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Just dies.

67 gto   Driving the car and it just dies won’t even turn over.  Does it randomly then it just decides to work again.  Checked all the obvious like connections battery etc replaced ignition switch      Anyone have any ideas or thoughts.   Thank you.   

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Check your wiring for starter by the exhaust.  May be shorting out when it gets hot N soft,  touching exhaust.  Shrinks back up when it cools off.  ESP if you run headers.   Are you still running an old alternator?  Then you need to check/replace the voltage regulator.  Or replace the alt with a newer 1 wire alt with volt reg built in.

I agree with everything Justa has said. I personally have had that happen to me. Other things to check or consider are:

Check your distributor rotor and cap to see if they need replacing.

If you still have points and a condenser in your distributor, perhaps they need replacing.

Check your timing to make sure it is not too far retarded or advanced. In a hot start situation, radical timing can hinder re-starting.

Check your neutral safety switch. It is either located at the bottom of your steering column or under the console. It maybe going bad.

I too agree with justA and frosty thoughts 

I would be looking at the battery cable from the starter to the battery and the earth cable from battery to engine and if they are old . Replace them 

for your engine to stop dead AND have no starter working , your whole electrical system has no power 👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2021 at 1:17 PM, Gser said:

67 gto   Driving the car and it just dies won’t even turn over.  Does it randomly then it just decides to work again.  Checked all the obvious like connections battery etc replaced ignition switch      Anyone have any ideas or thoughts.   Thank you.   

If you’re driving and it just dies, it’s either your ignition system or fuel.  By you saying it will not turn over, I assume you mean the engine is rotating but it won’t fire?  If you mean it won’t rotate, your starter doesn’t have anything to do with anything when the engine is running…like others have mentioned, Probably heat soak.